In need of Hosting help

Started by erocs, October 24, 2020, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erocs

Recently I had my smf forum 2.0.1.7 go down for in excess of 4 days. It seemed like the host virtually disappeared. I could not access Cpanel, client area or anything else. I tried emails and phone calls but was totally left in the dark.

As a result I signed up with a new host, even though the present one is paid up until Jan 2021. I had some errors on the old forum, so I installed smf from scratch on the new host. I can certainly use the new one as a test forum, it is also 2.0.1.7. Guess what? as soon as I signed up with the new host, my old one suddenly re-appeared. Now I don't have any trust in the old host, even though they have been very reliable for several years, but it was the lack of communication that really gets me.

My question is...will I be able to move just the users and all posts, to the new forum which may not look exactly like the old forum (themes, portal etc.)
I would much prefer doing this instead of moving the old forum as it is, to the new forum.

One other problem, I wanted to move the old domain name to the new host, but it was locked. Seeing as I couldn't get ahold of the old host in any way, I had to register a new domain name, so I will have to find a way to notify the members of the new url, unless I can get my old host to transfer my old domain name.

any help appreciated.

Ronald

Quote from: erocs on October 24, 2020, 11:07:24 AM
Recently I had my smf forum 2.0.1.7 go down for in excess of 4 days. It seemed like the host virtually disappeared. I could not access Cpanel, client area or anything else. I tried emails and phone calls but was totally left in the dark.

As a result I signed up with a new host, even though the present one is paid up until Jan 2021. I had some errors on the old forum, so I installed smf from scratch on the new host. I can certainly use the new one as a test forum, it is also 2.0.1.7. Guess what? as soon as I signed up with the new host, my old one suddenly re-appeared. Now I don't have any trust in the old host, even though they have been very reliable for several years, but it was the lack of communication that really gets me.

My question is...will I be able to move just the users and all posts, to the new forum which may not look exactly like the old forum (themes, portal etc.)
I would much prefer doing this instead of moving the old forum as it is, to the new forum.

One other problem, I wanted to move the old domain name to the new host, but it was locked. Seeing as I couldn't get ahold of the old host in any way, I had to register a new domain name, so I will have to find a way to notify the members of the new url, unless I can get my old host to transfer my old domain name.

any help appreciated.

Steve is the best one to answer you.. But you can open a new forum and have the nameservers point towards the new forum.
I doubt if the posts and members can come over..

Steve will post a better answer on here for you..

Note you have your own posting now. What you did was hi jack my post, and by doing that everything if thrown out of whack..

Skhilled

Hi erocs and welcome to Docskillz! I split your post into a separate topic to make things easier. Sorry you had problems with your hosting.

You can export the users and posts from the old database and import them into the new one. However, it would be easier to just make a backup of the database and files and use it on the new hosting. Doing it this way, you'll retain everything you had even if you cannot use the same domain name.

For the domain name... Do you own the name or does the hosting own it? If they own it then there's nothing you can do except buy it from them. If you actually own it then you should contact your registar that you bought the domain from and and ask how to unlock it so you can transfer it to the new hosting.

If you cannot retain the original domain and must use the new one you can still use the old forum and database and use repair_settings.php to change the domain name and settings so they will point to the new domain and directory, if the directory name has changed. The themes, portals, mods, etc. can always be added later.

erocs

Skhilled, thank you so much for the reply, didn't mean to hijack the other post, it was the topic title that got me.

I will try to restore a backup of the database and files on the new one, however I think it is mostly manual as the
host has removed the backup wizard and backup from Cpanel. Instead I am paying $33/yr for nightly backup. I
have asked to have that feature restored in a ticket, but so far since the forum went online he has not even
responded to the ticket. Now you can see why I want to move it

The Domain name is in his company name, but I paid for it. I would like to be able to move it, we shall see I
guess. I can unlock it in the software, but I think that may not apply to the registrar? I don't know if he will
be cooperative or not.

Not sure about the last one, I think you mean using repair_settings on the new one, I am looking for a way to make
sure my owners know about the new domain or get pointed to it automatically, otherwise I would have to send out
a mass email? That is of course provided I can't get the old domain totally unlocked.

I just wish I wasn't such a neophyte about these things, I learn as much as I can, but it still remains puzzles
to me a lot.

Skhilled

No problem about the posting. LOL

Sounds like the hosting is making money by disabling ways to automatically do backups so you'll have to pay them for it. We would never do that. That is a feature of cPanel and should be left in it. If there was a security issue with it is only when we would modify or remove it. So, it looks like you'll have to backup your files in File Manager or use FTP and use phpmyadmin to export your database to your hard drive.

If you can unlock the domain then you should be able to get a code to transfer it to another registar. I highly suggest that you do that to get it away from them. However, do not leave the domain unlocked for too long unless some tries to hijack it and take your domain from you. Find a good registar first, then unlock it and get the ecc code and transfer it to the new registar. Once it is accepted at the new registar, lock it immediately to keep it safe!

After the domain is locked then you can point it to the new hosting. Then use can use repair_settings.php to make the forum work with the domain of your choice.

Don't focus on not knowing things or being new to them. Learning is how you grow. You WILL make mistakes...right up to the day you die. Get used to it but learn from your mistakes and you will always continue grow and do better and not remain the same. Always keep trying and never give up and you'll do just fine! ;)

erocs

thank you for the reply, I will start working on that.

Ronald

Quote from: erocs on October 27, 2020, 08:24:37 AM
thank you for the reply, I will start working on that.

Steve will never deceive you, believe me. Steve has helped me out of a lot of messes, 'mistakes' why that's my middle name.

Skhilled

beast

Ya, I tault Steve ever thing he knows  :whistle: :rofl1: :rofl1:

:taz:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

erocs

Well, I am beside myself...my forum is down again this afternoon. I can still get into Cpanel, but not
my forum and not the client area.

I have managed a backup of the database using php admin, and also the files in public_html by using
the compress function and saving as a zip to my computer.

I think I would be able to unlock the domain if I could get into my forum, but at the moment I can't
I get a 504 gateway time out.

I have a new host and have installed smf on it. At this point I almost don't care if I can bring the old
domain name over, except for the fact, that I have no way of notifying my members except to do a
re-direct, but in that case they will all have to re-register on the new forum. I don't even know if the
re-direct will work at this point.

I can try and get my new host to move my forum, but don't know if they will have access to anything
except cPanel. I am paid up into 2021 but am willing to forego that, as this is causing me nothing
but grief, and the host is just totally unresponsive. I think I maybe locked out, due to an automatic
function but that doesn't explain why I can't get into the client area.

Not a clue as to the best method to proceed at the moment. Any help appreciated.

Skhilled

Well, at least you have a backup of the db and the files. :)

You can't unlock a domain from or through a forum. You must do it at your domain's registar. To find out who it is go here, type in your domain's name and it will tell you under "Regiatar Information":

https://lookup.icann.org/

You must then contact them and ask how to unlock your domain. If you can access it there you don't really need to unlock it, you'll just need to point it to the now hosting's DNS and it will work with your new hosting and you will still retain ownership of the domain. You will also not need a redirect as the domain will still point to your new hosting displaying the same forum with all of the old posts, users, etc.

You may be locked out of the Client Area if you failed too many password attempts.

Furthermore, there may be other things happening to bring your forum down instead of your hosting. Are there any onscreen errors, etc.?

erocs

Thank you for the reply, The forum and ability to get to the client area is back
up this morning, but still no communication of any kind from the host. The non
communication is the worst part of all this. Here is the info about the domain
registration...

Domain Status:
clientTransferProhibited
Nameservers:
NS1.GCCLOUD.US
NS2.GCCLOUD.USDates
Registry Expiration: 2021-04-23 19:17:12 UTC
Created: 2010-04-23 19:17:12 UTC
Registrar Information
Name: PDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com
IANA ID: 303
Abuse contact email: abuse-contact@publicdomainregistry.com
Abuse contact phone: tel:+1.2013775952

It is registered to the host, and I don't know how I would get
permission to move it, when he has not communicated at all
or answered any tickets since the last time it went down for
4 days, which was the middle of October.

I think my new host will move it for me, the difference is the
same domain name and instead of .com it is .ca. but how do
I notify my members, around 700 or so, mass email? or
put a notice on my current forum and put a date when the
current one will become inactive. Trouble is many members
do not always come regularly.

My SMF forum was at 2.0.1.7 before it went down yesterday
now it is at 2.0.1.5 and it showed over 3000 errors. This
has never happened before.

I have had enough of this host and definitely want to move
it, sad part is he used to be so good and responsive, but not
anymore.

I really need some help here please.

Skhilled

Did you contact PublicDomainRegistry.com to make sure that the hosting owns it or that you own it? You may not be able to see who the real owner is because of privacy protection. That is why I say to ask them yourself.

How to notify new members? If you can login to the new forum you should be able to see everything as before. Just send a mass email to all members alerting them to the new domain, if it has changed.

The errors you see are because it was not upgraded to 2.0.17 yet. If you upgrade it the error may go away but I'm not sure. There still may be some errors but we can probably work through them. :)

erocs

Thanks again, I can see that the owner is Frank Doud who is the owner of GC Solutions, although
I paid him for the domain. It has been in existence for over 10 years now. I am worried that
if somehow(and that is a longshot, that he replies) that if I ask him to unlock the domain, that
my forum will just disappear, as this whole thing is unlike him, based on the past.

I won't be able to send a mass email from the new forum, unless I can get the old one moved over,
but I can send a mass email from the old one.

Dislike having to move a forum with errors, but better I have a reliable host I think, then I can work
on fixing things.

So here is the plan, I post on the forum for members who come often about the new domain
I send a mass email to the rest.
That I then ask my new host to move the forum over.
Then I try and fix everything.

Sound like a plan? any additions or suggestions?