Main Menu

Basil Plant

Started by Skhilled, May 02, 2009, 10:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I bought a basil plant yesterday. Now, I have to replant it in a new pot. I might get a few more like parsley and oregano.

allkvinde

I have basil as well, several different kinds of basil. Sage, rosemary, thyme, peppermint, oregano, are all ones that I have. I take them during the winter months so that I have fresh herbs all year round. Oh forgot that I also have lots of chives. This year will add some more types of herbs to the pots, like dill. Dill did not grow too well for me last year so will try it again.

Skhilled

I missed you. LOL

I started to do this a few years ago and plant them in the garden but never got around to it. So now I'm giving it a go...

Ken.

Finished the prep on the garden for Kay... she's gonna plant several different herbs, I'll do a listing when we get them in the ground and maybe post a pic or two.   :cooking:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

allkvinde

I also want to see if I can get the time to plant lettuce and potatoes again this year. I don't like to make vegetable gardens really but I just plant what ever vegetables I want in between my bushes and flowers in my "flower bed". Most vegetable plants are not bad to look at and fill in nicely where something is needed lol. I know that I am a bit crazy and do not always do things like others but this works really well for me. Cauliflower though may look nice but is a real pain to grow so I do keep far away from that.

Years ago I grew cucumber in my living room window sill. It was a huge window that faced south so I figured it must be like a green house. It was I had some really large cucumber on the plants and we had fresh cucumber all summer long.

Most herbs though are great because you can plant them just about anywhere and any time. I love to have them indoors all winter so that I have fresh herbs to use all year round.

Skhilled

I just bought pots and soil so I can grow them indoors. Saves me from having to replant in and out when the season changes.

allkvinde

I have my herbs in huge pots that I then move indoors during the winter months. I love having them really.

I am sure that you will get great joy out of having them too.

Skhilled

Hmmm, there's an idea. The one I bought has a lot of stems and roots but is only about 10 inches tall and in a 3 inch plastic pot. It's kind of like a 300 pound man trying on Speedos.

I might even separate them in have and make 2 plants out of them. Hopefully, I can cut the roots apart without damaging them.

I also need to research plant food for them. I'm not sure if the will need regular plant food or the kind for veggies. Meanwhile, I do have some egg shells to add to the soil. I also got some potting soil that has fertilizer and plant food in it.

allkvinde

I don't usually fertilize I must admit. I do though make sure that they have potting soil with fertilizer in it. Mine always seem to grow like weeds.

Skhilled

That is what I used. I plan on keeping them indoors mostly except for them to get some sun.

The first one seems to be doing well after replanting it into a large pot. I just have to start pinching it.

Ken.

Kay received a * Link no longer valid... as one of her Mothers Day gifts and she has already started it on her kitchen window sill.  :laugh:

This from their site:
QuoteThis is the ultimate gift idea.  The Windowsill Garden is perfect for the indoor growing of your favorite Kitchen Herbs.  Pair with another windowsill kit to brighten up every room in the house.  The kitchen herbs are Sweet Basil, Chives and Parsley.

Each kit includes a 13" galvanized windowsill tray, seed packets, potting soil and growing instructions.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

I plan on getting some parsley next. I tend to use that in cooking more than anything. I started with basil cause it usually is more expensive at the stores. LOL

allkvinde

Lucky woman.

lol I don't get mother's day gifts. They are so far away that it would cost them way too much to send. I do though get a nice hello from them and a phone call so I am happy.

allkvinde

Steve I like to have basil, rosemary, parsley and chives every year. I always add others like sage, dill, thyme and peppermint. One of my errors for a while was that I did not give them enough space to grow in. Now they get plenty of room to expand though so they do very nicely.