Screwed Up My Windows

Started by Skhilled, February 22, 2018, 08:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I was editing my registry and screwed something up and didn't have a backup. Now I can't even login!

I'll need to burn a win 10 dvd and see if I can get around not having to start over. For now, I'm either using linux or my tablet.

beast

I though I was the only one that did those things. Good luck buddy

:taz:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

Wasn't the first time I've done it. LOL

There was actually more to this site but I screwed it up and didn't have a backup and lost it all years ago. I was deleting files on the server and deleted /public_html! LOL You live, you learn...

Skhilled

I'm baaaaccccckkkkk! LOL

All fixed now...I think.

Scrubmeister

Yay! :happy:

We've all been through something like that. We swear it will never happen again.............but it does.  :groan:

Skhilled

Very true. That bad part is I was trying to fix an issue with my PC cause it would just reboot now and again and it still does! :(

Scrubmeister

That would be very irritating.  :mad:

beast

Skhilled

I've already considered that and got a big roll of duct tape. LOL

Chen Zhen

Quote from: Skhilled on February 23, 2018, 09:43:23 PM
Very true. That bad part is I was trying to fix an issue with my PC cause it would just reboot now and again and it still does! :(

This sounds like it might be a driver issue or something conflicting which is a similar issue that I had recently.
After my most recent reinstall of Windows 10, I let it install whatever Microsoft drivers it saw fit and then followed up with manufacturer drivers for those MS could not provide.
I suggest you clone the current installation to a partition so that you can use the "Windows" folder for missing drivers on the new install after it installs all the MS ones.

I basically copied all my documents, pics, music, etc. to a folder on one of my externals and then deleted all but the Windows stuff from the C drive.
Then cloned that barebone set of files to a partition although all I really needed was the "Windows" folder.
You can also use the ~Windows backup~ option from the settings panel and restore its files to another folder later if you want but for the drivers I will suggest the above.

Also I mentioned to you prior that your SSD internal can be set to UEFI/GPT mode, then you use the Windows 10 thumb drive or SD card to format it for that type of file system.
In order to do that it must be a fresh install initially booted from startup & not booted from your current Windows installation.
You need a key code for it though as this method is not available for those that used the free upgrade.

Here are some reasons as to why I will suggest UEFI mode: https://phoenixts.com/blog/uefi-vs-legacy-bios/
I can provide you with links for free tools that will allow you to format in that mode and neatly create multiple boot options if you decide to have 2 or more OS installed (no matter which OS).

Note: When attempting to install drivers from your old installation, have it manually navigate to the actual old "Windows" folder where it will locate drivers from that start point.

Skhilled

This is exactly what I've been trying to avoid...been there before. LOL I've suspected that it may be a driver issue but just may need to dig a bit deeper...the easy route first. LOL

My mobo is already UEFI enabled and in that mode. I really need to fix up a few things with my PC...clean out the dust bunnies, rearrange my backup drives as well as clean up old files/re-install linux and more. I've guess I've been putting it off for other things.

I'm in the process of moving a lot of things between servers and will buckle down and get into all of this as soon as all of that's finished.

Skhilled

Sorry, everyone. Been busy trying to fix my PC and get a new server setup and working so I can have all of my sites in one place...and pay less money. LOL

Skhilled

I think my PC is having problems cause of a Windows upgrade. It keeps trying to reboot after it downloads and installs it. They claim to be aware of the problem and will be fixing it. :P

beast

Hmmmm. I hope all of us don't get it

:taz:

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on March 16, 2018, 07:13:20 AM
I think my PC is having problems cause of a Windows upgrade. It keeps trying to reboot after it downloads and installs it. They claim to be aware of the problem and will be fixing it. :P

Quick Fix Windows 10 reboot loop/keeps restarting error
Boot computer from Safe Mode and cancel Automatically Restart

* Continuously press F8 before Windows logo appears;
    * Release F8 until the boot menu shows up and choose Safe Mode;
    * Boot computer from Safe Mode and go to search after Windows boot up;
    * Type: sysdm.cpl and open sysdm.cpl;
    * Click Advanced > Settings under Startup and Recovery;
    * Uncheck Automatically restart;
    * Click OK and reboot computer.