Main Menu

New Book?

Started by Skhilled, June 30, 2015, 09:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

A few weeks ago, I was at a World War II event celebrating our WWII veterans with my grandfather, who is one. A woman suggested that we write a book about his life and accomplishments...which are still ongoing and he's 90! Here's one of the many newspaper articles about him.

http://www2.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=390410

So, we have begun the process of recording his life. All he needs to do is record himself. I've already started making a website and have begun scanning the hundreds of family photos of him and the rest of us. You can keep up with the website here:

http://docskillz.com/wp/

http://calvinsummers.com

There a lot of work to be done there and I'll be adding photos as well as places he gave speeches and for future speeches, etc. He had a bronze star and about 1/2 a dozen medals. But after speaking to some congressmen and his last speech they thought he should have more and are looking into it to see what they can do. Keep your fingers crossed.  :dancebun:

So, with all of this there may be times I might be a tad busy and not seen as much. I'll be checking in during those times so don't worry. I'm just working on things or traveling with him to take some photos.  O0

Ken.

Sounds great Steve, we'll keep watch as you develop and post the details.

Ps: I've finished reading the book... more on that later.  :cool2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Thanks, Ken. It'll be a long process but a worthy one. :)

Skhilled

Sorry, had the Site News set to read only. I was wondering why no one posted in it yesterday. LOL Everyone can reply now.  :baghead:

Ken.

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maxx

Yes , want to wish you best going on that project, I'm have great pleasure Reading about Him!

Maybe you could start doing pages on the website... private section, to lay things out until get a handle to the books direction :)

Regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Thanks, Maxx.

I've already started a few pages but nothing is really on them yet. Still getting used to WP and gathering the correct info to add to the pages. I've already considered a private section like you've said but still gathering info then I'll start deciding on the books direction. The info will lead the way. ;)

Skhilled

Last weekend, I purchased the domain name "calvinsummers.com". Sometime today or tomorrow, you'll be able to view the site using that domain name. I've set up the addon domain and am in the process of moving everything over to it.

EDIT: It is now setup and working. The first post has been edited to reflect this.  :dancebun:

2nd Edit: I screwed something up and now have to redo everything!  :rofl1:

Ken.

Good start... errr... good start again!  :hah:

Skhilled

I am uploading the plugins and themes now. You'll have to re-register cause of the new db. Sorry...

Maxx

Thanks Doc , I'll wait a while to give you chance to get started :)

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

It's just about back to were it started except for the comments by scilla, who is a user at Aura's site. I may be able to import it via the db as well as her account but I'm not holding my breath on it. LOL I lost Ken's account there too...May need to do some reading to see if I can re-add those...

Ken.

I'll just re-register when you get it sorted Steve.  :cool2:

Skhilled

I just realized that registration was turned off...sorry. It's available now...

Maxx

Bro, I sure wish there was something better than WP for this, I've that up down about 100 times, never did like it. But they say it's #1 !

regards,
Maxx