I have a major problem

Started by Ronald, January 15, 2018, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Recently I let one of the Admin. go, now she is disgruntled. I also banned to bad members, they also are disgruntled.

I have banned everything about them in the forum ACP and also in the Host cPanel..

Now they come and copy postings and send them to me by email, telling me I'll never stop them..

Now my question: How the hell do I stop them from viewing the forum, they come in with mobile units and proxies..

I did threaten one with a slanderous law suite if she did stop this crap..She made up a letter and is sending it out to members she had save emails addresses..

Scrubmeister

Set the forum so only members can see it?

May only slow them down though. Put new membership on manual and review each carefully. Not sure if this will help but worth a try?

Ronald

Quote from: Scrubmeister on January 15, 2018, 05:00:29 PM
Set the forum so only members can see it?

May only slow them down though. Put new membership on manual and review each carefully. Not sure if this will help but worth a try?

How do I set it up for Members only..

I was also thinking of when you see the forum, but when you click on a topic, it tells you you must register to view the forum, any idea how this is setup.

Thanks

Ron..

Skhilled

You'll need to set the permissions for guests to not view the forum.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on January 15, 2018, 08:17:16 PM
You'll need to set the permissions for guests to not view the forum.

I have most of the forums like that now..

How can I set up to see the main page with all the topics, but when you click on a topic, it takes you to a sign in page..

Skhilled

As far as I know, you can't without a mod. I've heard of mods like that but can't recall ever using them myself. With the default SMF permissions you'll have to either allow viewing or not (meaning they must login to see).

As far as them sending you emails, you should be able to block the emails using filters and such and report them to their ISP if you know who they are and have their original IP addresses.

You might wish to try Forum Firewall:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2815

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on January 16, 2018, 08:10:16 AM
As far as I know, you can't without a mod. I've heard of mods like that but can't recall ever using them myself. With the default SMF permissions you'll have to either allow viewing or not (meaning they must login to see).

As far as them sending you emails, you should be able to block the emails using filters and such and report them to their ISP if you know who they are and have their original IP addresses.

You might wish to try Forum Firewall:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2815

I have done that set the permissions.. The one most troublesome is Lee with her malicious emails, I did threatened her with a law suite for slander, but don't know if she'll take the hint..

Skhilled

LMAO! I should have known it was her! I started to ask but didn't.

beast

I would put her as spam on my email, where I didn't even have to see any of her stuff. As for the forum, I would let ever member know there is emails going out that are untrue and not to pay any attention to them. I would not like to see the board set up where it would not attract new members   jmo

:taz:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Scrubmeister

I would just set it so members only can see it for a while then change the settings in a few weeks or so. Surely they would get bored of harassing you eventually?

Best of luck to you. I think we've all dealt with stuff like this. Takes the fun out of running a forum.

Ronald

Quote from: Scrubmeister on January 16, 2018, 04:29:46 PM
I would just set it so members only can see it for a while then change the settings in a few weeks or so. Surely they would get bored of harassing you eventually?

Best of luck to you. I think we've all dealt with stuff like this. Takes the fun out of running a forum.

Yes, I have removed the Guest Permissions from 95% of the board.. Nothing interesting that they'd read.. Maybe in a couple of weeks it'll pass..