Win 10 Privacy Issues

Started by Skhilled, July 31, 2015, 06:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Maxx

Doc there is place on MS that you can sign up and download, it will check your system requirement, and authentication. I'll try to get this for you I need to do one of  units.

Back on topic I went through and turn off a bunch of the mentioned items, from the URL you posted. Great heads up Bro.

let me see about the download thng!~ Did you try the win 7 updates you may have to go through a few to get there!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I have Win 8.1 and the latest updates...that I'm aware of...

Maxx

OK cool. it should have a little window as you probably know on the right side tools bar, and they do a certain amount at a time, but if look close it may be download it in the back ground once you open the window 10 icon!

it take a while to down load and aboutr an hour after to upgrade!!
\
If you know this disregard, some others may not know!

regards,
Maxx

Maxx

I would not count on the Email thing, if your Win 10 alert widow does not say your are set for the auto upgrade you need to check the little menu icon on the top left side of the window and click upgrade to see if you are set, if not it should set your unit for this update and if it download in background it 3 GB of stuff so will take a bit, depending on your connection speed.

I have the pro version on my main because I'm a MS windows insider, like Ken I think may also be!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I check my icon daily but nothing yet.

I used to a MS Insider years ago for quite a few years but lost interest in it. During the testing they say they will do one thing but always add things that are not security-friendly or just don't work well. MS has always been this way.

Maxx

Yes... and on another note I turn off the Widow defender, and install my own security and scanning software. But beware they try to push the defender on your so be careful not to turn it on, it deleted you own software, like Spybot or AVG or others, Malwarebytes is not effect by this so far!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I turn it off and use my own too. The biggest problem is that people try to run multiple scanners or firewalls at once. This does not work.

Maxx

Agreed , but I do keep updated copies of other apps on a stick for emergency!  Like Spybot I only use if I feel something is wrong, not be picked up by my other stuff, and a few other as well, but they are tricky and could mess up you registry if not care full :)

As A rule of thumb I say the most popular paid software is the ones most likely to be attacked or hacked. I always do manual updates to my programs just before scanning and do it often!

Be extra careful of new free programs and applications. ( some as we know have been trusted for many years! I have use most all of the name brand stuff and paid lots just to have them fail me!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Personally, I'm careful with all programs. LOL You'll never know when they can start going downhill.

Portable programs are a great things to use on a stick! You can go anywhere and use your fav programs, browsers, etc. ;)

http://portableapps.com/

Ken.

Quote from: Skhilled on July 31, 2015, 02:08:31 PM
Personally, I'm careful with all programs. LOL You'll never know when they can start going downhill.

Portable programs are a great things to use on a stick! You can go anywhere and use your fav programs, browsers, etc. ;)

http://portableapps.com/

Love portable apps!  :hah:
Been using them for years. The portable Firefox is especially handy if you are on someone else's PC or laptop... you can have all of your bookmarks with you and plus that, you don't leave anything on the host PC.
If you can think of a program or app, it's likely available as a portable app.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Yup! Been using them for year too. ;)

Actually, I have several sticks I use for various purposes. One I leave in my WiFi printer so when I scan images I can transfer them over wifi directly to my PC. ;)

The others I use for linux distros, backups, etc.