Windows 10 WiFi Sense

Started by Skhilled, July 31, 2015, 04:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

This new Win 10 feature has the potential for security issues as it allows all of your Outlook.com, Skype and Facebook friends access to your wifi! This is turned on by default when you install Win 10. This feature should never be turned on because it allows ALL contacts/friends access. You cannot select an individual to have access. It's an "all or nothing" deal! It gives them all your WiFi password!

My suggestion is that as soon as you install Win 10 turn it off immediately! ...OR just do not install Win 10 until they have a fix for this.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/technology/windows10-wifi-sense/index.html

Maxx

Thanks Steve!

I need to check this out. and all the other things you posted. looks like a good heads up, and I'm sure there will be many more to come.

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I didn't work last night due to car issues cause of the flooding here and used the time to look and see what people thought about Win 10 and see if they found any problems or things of interest.

Maxx

That's, something Last night I was dream my car was sinking in the ocean :)

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

Thanks for the link Steve, turned mine off.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Zacharia

Just a heads up for those who may not know Windows 8.1 also has WIFI Sense and if it is on or off just check in your settings  ( settings go to WIFI then WIFI Sense then turn it on or off )   regards Zach

Skhilled

I don't have it on my Win 8.1. Might be cause I bought the retail Home version.

Maxx

Dell has a Virtual Wifi network driver on some that windows will tell you it may cause issues, I uninstall mine, because I have no need for this on my laptop. Any type net working, should always be closely monitored, if you use them. I don't have the need though!

I went through all the settings in the settings window one by one and turned off all things I do not need , and apps that are not need on start up as well..

The whole boils down to what many Corps do on and off line sharing your personal habits with other. So if can Oped out of them I'd do so first chance you get!

I'm also totally against any type cloud stuff. Hey you get off of my Cloud :)

And Hey Share this! No thanks!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Quote from: Maxx on July 31, 2015, 01:19:52 PM
Dell has a Virtual Wifi network driver on some that windows will tell you it may cause issues, I uninstall mine, because I have no need for this on my laptop. Any type net working, should always be closely monitored, if you use them. I don't have the need though!

I went through all the settings in the settings window one by one and turned off all things I do not need , and apps that are not need on start up as well..

The whole boils down to what many Corps do on and off line sharing your personal habits with other. So if can Oped out of them I'd do so first chance you get!
Yes! People today feel the need to be connected to everyone and everything for some reason or another. They do not realize that security should always be their top priority! But whne something bad happens it's always the other guy's fault. ;)

Quote from: Maxx on July 31, 2015, 01:19:52 PM
I'm also totally against any type cloud stuff. Hey you get off of my Cloud :)

And Hey Share this! No thanks!

regards,
Maxx
I've never trusted the cloud myself. I believe it is a marketing gimic to get you to spend more money. If they can't explain what it is, you don't need it. It's just a new buzz word for a server and nothing more.

Haven't heard that song in awhile. LOL

Maxx

Skhilled

I found out from a user at Pixel Mansion the you can do the following to opt-out of the listing.

You need to add "_optout" to the end of your router's SSID Name. However, it should be noted that it can take up to several days  for your network to be added to the opted-out list!!!

This is totally idiotic! You should not have to opt-out of anything to secure your devices! In my case, I have 3 consoles, 2 laptops, 1 PC and 2 tablets all connected to my WiFi. So now I'm supposed to go to every one of them and change the SSID again???

Maxx

Steve If I'm not mistaken, I turn this off, with in the systems Settings, all those settings , you will need to go through on by one and read what they do and turn of what are not wanting.

I think allot off people, getting spooked with the windows !),

Yes there are some issue with thing set by default, but the user needs to explore and read.

I will double check this later, but there is allot of settings to go through! :)

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I'm sure there are people who will want this. But having it turned on my default is still not cool at all and is a security problem as well as a privacy issue. You probably do not want everyone in your contacts to have that information or none of them at all.