Just Some AMD info 4 the User's

Started by Maxx, March 27, 2015, 06:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxx

I knew I have this somewhere, just found and want to post for the Visitors to consider, if wanting to build a Machines:

The diagrams posted here are taken from the AMD techdocs, which you can   read in full here:
http://support.amd.com/en-us
(diagrams   found on pages 85 and 86 if you don't want to read everything!)

The   AMD memory controller

The memory controller on AMD64 Athlon /   Phenom / Sempron CPUs is contained in the CPU itself. It doesn't matter   what mainboard you have, Nvidia, ATI, or ULi chipset based, mainboard   chipset is irrelevant to what memory is supported, and any limitations   are not due to MSI either, you'll find the same limitations on any other   manufacturer's mainboards.

For   AM2/AM2+ systems using DDR2 memory

AMD Athlon64/Sempron CPUs   support a maximum 800mhz memory speed.
AMD Phenom CPUs support a   maximum 1066mhz memory speed.

For AM3 systems using DDR3 memory

AMD   Phenom II CPUs support a maximum 1333mhz memory speed.

So can I use faster memory?

If you   buy memory rated to run faster than these speeds (listed earlier), then   you will have to overclock your system in order to use your memory at   its rated speed.

Remember though, when you overclock, you are   exceeding specifications of your memory controller inside the CPU. An   overclock is never guaranteed to work...

Of course, these sticks   will happily run at lower speeds.

Please, keep overclocking   questions out of this area, but post your question here: >>   Overclockers and Modding Corner <<

What memory   to buy?

If you are not planning on any overclocking, then any   generic DDR2/DDR3 memory should work.

To get the most out of   your memory, use two sticks in dual channel mode. If you use 4 sticks,   then your memory will work, but only at a lower speed.

If you are   looking for performance memory, look for Dual-Channel kits tested for   AMD systems, as many are Intel optimised, and the Intel timings are not   always suitable for AMD systems. Don't waste your money buying   Tri-channel kits, they are optimised for Intel i7 systems, and you'll   get better performance using just one or two sticks anyway. And if   you're lucky to get three sticks working together, they'll only run in   single channel mode, which will hinder performance anyway.

Don't   mix and match sticks either. Always use identical matched sticks for   best performance in dual channel mode.

For optimal results and   trouble free maximal performance it's recommended to use 1 memory stick   per channel, as a general rule this always works.

4gb+   memory

Due to 32bit physical address limitations, if your   system has 4GB or more RAM installed, a 32bit operating system will only   be able to utilise 3.2-3.5gb, because of memory reserved for other   resources, such as VGA cards, RAID controllers etc. It is pointless   having more than 4gb RAM in a 32bit system.

To be able to utilise   4gb+ memory, you need to run a 64bit operating system. But while the   64bit OS will be able to 'see' and utilise more than 4gb of RAM, any   32bit programs will still have the same physical address limitations, in   order to fully utilise more than 4gb of RAM, you'll also need to   utilise dedicated 64bit software also. So again, it is also pretty   pointless to have 4gb or more, in a 64bit OS, if you're only ever going   to run 32bit software.

EDIT : Check here for more up to date information:  http://support.amd.com/en-us
July 31, 2014
regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

A few tips on overclocking...

Doing this stresses your components! Stressing means it makes them work harder. This can shorten the life span of one or more components and/or cause them to overheat and burn them out. Then you will need new ones. Overclocking one component can cause over components to work harder which will stress them as well.

I've burned out a CPU doing this because I kept pushing it to see how high it would go. There is no need to push your system to it's limits all of the time. Doing it once in a while is fine but you still take a chance. Small increments of overclocking are fine in most cases. But never try pushing them to their limits unless you've got money to burn.

For more information, I suggest these 2 sites.

http://tomshardware.net - Probably one of the best hardware sites around. I've been using them since my first build about 11 years ago. General hardware issues, product testing, overclocking, tutorials...you name it, they know it!

http://overclockers.com - For all things dealing with overclocking including which hardware to get specifically designed for overclocking as well as tutorials and product testing.

And ALWAYS do some research before attempting to build a PC or try to overclock it! Just because a component may have overclocking features doesn't mean it's good or will play nice with your other components.