SMF Arcade 2.5 RC2

Started by beast, January 19, 2012, 09:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beast

Ok Thanks for helping me. I got to run and take the lady back to the Doc. I'll get back as soon as I can. You don't know how much I AM learning and how much this means too me

:happy: :happy:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

I'm thinking we need to start over and do not install that install quickly mod. Look at the error logs. We were not getting those errors before I uninstalled it. Those are the same errors I told you about before to tell your hosting.

So, either that mod is screwing things up or it's your hosting. But things were working fine until you installed that mod. I think we need to start over and not use it. If we get the same hosting errors then it's a hosting issue and we need to add the php.ini file. :P

If we don't get the errors then we'll know it was that mod...or at least it's partially responsible. I just checked and that mod is NOT designed for smf 2.0.2! That may be why...

EDIT: One thing is for sure...you need new hosting. cPanel for Site5's file manager  is NOT working properly at all and i can only assume that other things are not. If I delete files in the file manager you must refresh to see the changes. Also, if you extract a zip file you cannot see the OK button. It's just a little dot!

I've dealt with them before helping others and they are not good hosting. And them telling you that you must create your own php.ini file to fix their problems is NOT right at all. You should only need to do that if you were using dedicated or vps hosting costing $100+ per month! Then you are on your own and must know what you are doing...but that is a different story.

EDIT AGAIN: I just reinstalled the test site again...fresh. What I noticed is that some of the files were actually set to 755 and the server should have never set them to that...only 666 or 644. Not cool. I had to go through each directory to make sure.

Did it and installed sp and the arcade only. Keep getting:

Directory /home/stumpbur/stumptest/Games is not writable and chmod didn't succeed. Please make it writable manually.

I've tried to change it in ftp and cPanel and both say it is the correct permission but it has not changed, obviously. So, you've probably lost ownership of the /Games directory and possibly other directories. You must ask the hosting to fix this. Only root (admin on a server) can do this. Another server issue.  :yuck:

Quote from: beast on January 20, 2012, 10:38:23 AM

How much $ are we talking about?

:dontknow:

For different hosting? Depends on which hosting you get. Personally, I never do annually paid hosting and only do monthly paid. I may be a tad higher but you can get out of it a lot easier and not lose any money. Just like contracts for cell phones, etc. :P

You can get hosting for $5-10 per month depending on what your needs are.

To prove my point I'll put your test site on my server and you'll see the difference.

beast

How much $ are we talking about?

:dontknow:

Skhilled

Re-read my last post, first.

Here's your test site on my server:

* Link removed...no longer valid.

Play with this one while I take a nap. LOL

beast

Ok, SMF sent me a email saying to contact my host that there was something wrong with my database. I did and here is what they told me

Dusty S.If you're using the mod install option, it's possible the server is blocking the connection out. Can you provide the IP address and port being used? If you don't know it you can ask smf developers and send in a request for this outbound exception from your backstage when you do.

Ray Will that allow me to download and upload other mods as well?

Dusty S.Yes because the mod install section access the same server for all the mods. I believe themes too but may be wrong on that one. Haven't really used SMF since 1.3.

:dontknow: :dontknow:

beast

Quote from: beast on January 22, 2012, 07:04:42 AM

Ok, SMF sent me a email saying to contact my host that there was something wrong with my database. I did and here is what they told me

Dusty S.If you're using the mod install option, it's possible the server is blocking the connection out. Can you provide the IP address and port being used? If you don't know it you can ask smf developers and send in a request for this outbound exception from your backstage when you do.

Ray Will that allow me to download and upload other mods as well?

Dusty S.Yes because the mod install section access the same server for all the mods. I believe themes too but may be wrong on that one. Haven't really used SMF since 1.3.

:dontknow: :dontknow:

Here is what they are telling me now

Site5: Lehel Csiki responded: Sun Jan 22 08:18:26 CST 2012

Hello,

I'm quite confused how the database has anything to do with File/Folder permissions - however I did checked your database integrity and that is reporting all with status OK, you are specifying that you've performed an upgrade, is the database was actually updated as well?
Regarding the Packages folder - I've found on the SMF community that a temp/ folder should exist under that folder and should work with 755 permissions. Let us know if you create the temp/ folder unde Packages would make any difference? If the issue still persists, try obtaining please more information how the database is related to this, and what can be done further. We will be happy to assist you further.

Skhilled

You mean the email said "Database Connection Issue" or something like that? If so, that is a server issue where the forum briefly lost the connection to the database. Could have been them working on the server or something.

Hmmm, to appease them we can try to upgrade Packages. There are a few upgrades just for that. Then we'll know. But I suggest creating a clean test site on your server and trying to install the same programs. If it still happens then we know that it is a hosting issue. If it does not then could be the db or packages.

btw, did you tell them you keep getting messages saying:

QuoteDirectory /home/stumpbur/stumptest/Games is not writable and chmod didn't succeed. Please make it writable manually.

However, it looks ok and was set to 755.

What was the last version of smf you had before this one?

beast

Skhilled

SMF version...not the arcade version.

beast

RC4    ????   I don't remember

Skhilled

I'm asking because I was going to try to upgrade Packages but need to know what the last version was. Hold on, I'll see if I can find out.

EDIT: The only file that I can see that needs updating is PersonalMessage.template.php but file has nothing to do with the problems you have.

When was the last time you've run a Forum Maintenance?

beast

Not long ago but I don't know if I did it right

Skhilled

I just ran it and seriously doubt there is a packages issue cause other things install but not the games. Something is preventing it. If I upload games to the /Games directory the arcade should recognize them but it doesn't. I keep getting the chmod error. But the permissions are correct according to Filezilla and cPanel.

This has got to be a hosting issue or partially...

Skhilled

Quote from: Skhilled on January 22, 2012, 11:46:18 AM

QuoteDirectory /home/stumpbur/stumptest/Games is not writable and chmod didn't succeed. Please make it writable manually.

beast

Quote from: Skhilled on January 22, 2012, 03:10:38 PM
Quote from: Skhilled on January 22, 2012, 11:46:18 AM

You said:    Sun Jan 22 15:06:48 CST 2012

Here is something else it tells me

Directory /home/stumpbur/stumptest/Games is not writable and chmod didn't succeed. Please make it writable manually.
Site5: Patrick Stueck responded:    Sun Jan 22 15:12:30 CST 2012

Hello.

It looks like that particular directory doesn't exist.
---
root@flarhgunnstow [~]# cd /home/stumpbur/stumptest/Games
-bash: cd: /home/stumpbur/stumptest/Games: No such file or directory
---

It looks like the correct directory should be: /home/stumpbur/public_html/stumptest/Games

That directory currently has Read/Write permissions.

Please let us know if you have any questions, or need further assistance.

Thanks,

Patrick Stueck
System Administrator, Site5.com