In need of Hosting help

Started by erocs, October 24, 2020, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

No, unlocking the domain should have nothing to do with if the forum disappearing. You only unlock a domain if you wish to transfer it to another registar or you wish to abandon it. That should be the only reasons to do that. Even if they are under the registar, if you paid for the domain then they are your registar and there should be a way to access it and point it wherever you like.

If you do wish to transfer it to another domain you will need the "ECC Code" from it to transfer it.

Yes, sounds like a good plan. :)

Keep me updated...

erocs

Quote from: Skhilled on November 10, 2020, 11:18:19 AM
No, unlocking the domain should have nothing to do with if the forum disappearing. You only unlock a domain if you wish to transfer it to another registar or you wish to abandon it. That should be the only reasons to do that. Even if they are under the registar, if you paid for the domain then they are your registar and there should be a way to access it and point it wherever you like.

If you do wish to transfer it to another domain you will need the "ECC Code" from it to transfer it.

Yes, sounds like a good plan. :)

Keep me updated...

What I meant about the forum disappearing is the fact that the host is not communicating and something is wrong,
so if he thought I was going to move the forum to a new host, he might do something untoward, just being paranoid.

I have got the new host to move the forum for me and it is working. Trouble is when my forum went down the other
day smf was at 2.0.1.7 when it suddenly reappeared after a day, it was at smf 2.0.1.5. I tried to patch it to 2.0.1.6
there were so many errors I could not do it.

now I'm kind of stuck

also when I try to re-direct the old domain to the new one in cPanel it doesn't seem to work.

Skhilled

Yeah, I used Frank's hosting quite awhile back and had kind of the same experience. Started out good then went south. LOL So, I moved to other hosting. Now I manage my own hosting so I've got no one to blame but myself. LMAO At least, I can fix things when they happen and they will...that's just life. But not responding to a customer or at least trying to help them is a no-no in my book.

The errors you are getting are from your mods. You may have to uninstall/delete the mods then try to update smf. However, I do not recommend updating using the link in the smf admin as it has been known to cause problems! It's best to upload the large upgrade package via FTP or cPanel's (or your panel's) file manager and run https://your_site.com/upgrade.php. This is the best course of action for upgrading. Then install any themes (if necessary) then install your mods.

You will need to make sure the themes and mods you install are updated for the version of SMF you are using or you will get errors.

erocs

Thank you again for the reply. I have uploaded the errors I am getting

I will try what you are saying, Do I need to uninstall all mods?

where do I put the large upgrade package?

appreciate the help.

Skhilled

Yes, I'm pretty sure those are errors from your mods although you haven't posted what the mods are. You don't have to uninstall the mods. But you will need to reinstall them after you install the upgrade package because the upgrade package will remove all of the edits that the mods have made to your SMF files when you've installed them...they will not work because of that.

Just upload the upgrade package to your root forum directory and extract it. It's easiest if you use cPanel because you can upload it and extract it from within File Manager. When you are done, make sure you delete the zip file. Then run upgrade.php and give it the information it asks for. :)

erocs

This is driving me insane.

I can't update to 2.0.1.7
My members cannot log in or register, but I can.
I tried what you said on the old forum and I could not get it to work,
so didn't want to try it on the new one.

What I hate most of all is putting my users through this mess, all
caused by GC Solutions I might add.

If you know someone who is willing to get me to where I want to be
I am willing to pay a reasonable amount. Thank you

Jim

Skhilled

It's weird that you can login but not your users. That has me puzzled.

If you pm me your info I can take a look for you.

Ronald

Not to hi-jack this post. But Frank has been sick and was in the hospital, he just came home a few days ago.

Read the comments 4 pages of them: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=575441.0

Skhilled

Skhilled

@erocs, how are you making out? Do you need more help?

erocs

not right at the moment, thanks for asking

still working on some things.