need a bit of help

Started by Lesmond, June 02, 2009, 12:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lesmond

Not often I ask for help, but a site I help run I cant seem to be able to update to smf 1.1.9, if I click on... "You can install this patch (click here to install) to update your version of SMF to 1.1.9." I get this....
QuoteForbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
and if try to upload the package with the manager I get "The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted. "

I have tried changing permissions but not helped, this site is hosted with RR

here is the site * Link is no longer valid...

I have updated other sites I host on RR hosting but cant seem to be able to do this one, got me stuck

Oh I do have access to RR WHM if I need it.

Les

*edit cant get hold of rr at all :(

Skhilled

Quote from: Lesmond on June 02, 2009, 12:31:42 PM
Not often I ask for help, but a site I help run I cant seem to be able to update to smf 1.1.9, if I click on... "You can install this patch (click here to install) to update your version of SMF to 1.1.9." I get this....
QuoteForbidden

You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Not being able to access a file can be one of 2 things. Either file permissions or ownership...could be both. Have you tried changing smf permissions via Packages -> Options and "Make all files writable"?

Index.php is, most likely, set to the wrong permissions. If the server uses 755 permissions then index.php should probably be set to 644 or 755...most likely 644. If it is 777 then it probably should be set to 777 to be writable. Other files/folders may not be set correctly as well and should be checked.

The server I'm on is set to 755, so, I need 644 for my files and 755 for the folders for anything to work properly. Now, if you can't change permissions then it is an issue of ownership and the files/folders need to be chown'd.

and if try to upload the package with the manager I get "The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted. "

You can't do it that way. I've heard that some people can but a lot can't. I do think there are issues with this upgrade...as with most of them. LOL

You have to do it the old fashioned way. Remember the "forum refresh" we used to do at TPH? Upload the upgrade package to the server. This will overwrite the mods and any custom editing but will upload clean files. Run upgrade.php and that will take care of the upgrade. You will have to reinstall all mods and custom edits. However, the settings and information should still be intact since you will not be deleting any tables from the database.

I have tried changing permissions but not helped, this site is hosted with RR

here is the site * Link is no longer valid...

I have updated other sites I host on RR hosting but cant seem to be able to do this one, got me stuck

Oh I do have access to RR WHM if I need it.

Les

*edit cant get hold of rr at all :(

You'll probably have to chown and chmod the account to get it working.

I've been seeing RR on msn lately but I haven't been on it in a day or so. I haven't talked to her though...

Skhilled

I forgot to mention that you should try it again after you chown or chmod the files/folders...  :baghead:

Skhilled

I figured it out. My family site was doing the same thing. The database and smiley sets are not upgraded.

If SMF will not upgrade you'll have to follow these instructions:

Extract upgrade.php, upgrade_1-0.sql, and upgrade_1-1.sql. Upload them to your root folder of your forum. Run yourforum.com/upgrade.php. "yourforum.com" is the complete link to your forum.

If you get a message that says there are old or outdated language files, then look in the url of your browser. At the end of it it will have "step=0". You will probably not be able to get past that part. This is due to a smiley issue with upgrading.

Change "step=0" to "step=1". This will bypass the first screen and take you to the next where you'll probably see a smiley error. Follow the steps in the link below and try again.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=1079.0

To make things quicker you should just follow the smiley error instructions for editing upgrade_1-1.sql, then upload the upgrade.php files and try again. Doing it this way will not make you lose your mods. ;)

Skhilled

The new upgrade will not show you the smiley error unless you bypass step 0 and go to step 1. ;)

Lesmond

Thanks Steve, I will have a go with this tomorrow  :cool2:

Skhilled

No problem. I just figured it out with my family site cause it had the same issue. Luckily, I thought to try and bypass step 0. Don't know what made me think of that but am glad it worked. LOL

Lesmond

Skhilled

Did you use it through the Package Manager?

Lesmond

yes and it worked fine, dont ask me why though  lol

Skhilled

It doesn't for Tessa. I think it's more of a server issue. The server is kind of wacky.

EDIT: There is the smiley upgrade issue that is still not corrected with the 1.1.9 upgrade...