To Spam Or Not To Spam

Started by Skhilled, August 31, 2015, 09:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I was messing around in my cPanel and noticed something new called "Configure Greylisting" in the Mail section.

I didn't know exactly what it was. I know what whitelisting is: when you set an email address so that it will not be blocked.

I also know what blacklisting is: when you set an email to be blocked. Anything grey is sort of in between but for email???

So, I decided to google: "What is greylisting"? Here's the first 3 results Google showed me:

Maxx

Mine has the same thing another name ... called spam hammer:

QuoteSpam Hammer
Spam Hammer is a method of defending e-mail users against spam by "temporarily rejecting" any email from a sender it does not recognize. If the mail is legitimate, the originating server will, after a delay, try again and if sufficient time has elapsed, the email will be accepted. If the mail is from a spammer it will probably not be retried since a spammer goes through thousands of email addresses and typically cannot afford the time delay to retry. You can either enable Spam Hammer for a single email address or for all addresses on a domain. Spam Hammer can only be enabled for a domain if it has email accounts.
*** Although Spam Hammer will stop many SPAM emails from reaching you, there is a possibility of blocking legitimate emails from reaching your account as well. Please take this into consideration before enabling Spam Hammer.***

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I just thought it was funny seeing the 2 google links next to each other...one good, one bad. LOL

Ronald

I don't have that in my cpanels..

My cpanels all took a big change the other day.. Man it looks strange, big difference from before..

Skhilled

They probably changed the theme. Different themes can have different things in them. See if you can change themes.

Maxx

I'm giving the spam hammer a go for a while and it cut 95% of spam and it seems to be let those trough that I know and subscribe to! let's see!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Spam Assassin has always worked very well for me. Can't see why they added the others when there seems to be problems with them...

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on September 01, 2015, 09:14:32 AM
They probably changed the theme. Different themes can have different things in them. See if you can change themes.

No the whole panel has changed from the login to the panel itself..

Skhilled

They updated it and changed the theme...

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on September 01, 2015, 10:23:45 AM
They updated it and changed the theme...

Yea probably, there English..

Ken.

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti