Change forum URL

Started by Ronald, May 26, 2021, 06:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

I get confused easily in the cpanel with all those files. I thought I had the file in the proper place. Look at the image, tell me if the new file is correct now or not.

If it is correct, then how do I get everything over to it.

Skhilled

Yes, that is where it should go. :)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 28, 2021, 11:22:04 AM
Yes, that is where it should go. :)

:cheers: got something right for a change.

NOW!!! How do I get all the files over to the new file???  :cry1:

Skhilled

Just copy all of the files and subdirectories from the one above public_html (not the actual directory itself...just the files and subdirectories under it) to the new directory... /public_html/arcadeholics. Then upload repair_settings to it and run it to make it change to that subdirectory so it changes it's url's and settings to that new directory.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 28, 2021, 11:30:52 AM
Just copy all of the files and subdirectories from the one above public_html (not the actual directory itself...just the files and subdirectories under it) to the new directory... /public_html/arcadeholics. Then upload repair_settings to it and run it to make it change to that subdirectory so it changes it's url's and settings to that new directory.

OK I'll give it a shot, hope it works.. First time doing anything like this

Skhilled

Every time you fail and learn that you can't do something a certain way is a blessing. Why? Because you've learned something even if it is that you can't or should not do it that way. ;) Always count your blessings. Yes, failing is a blessing especially if you learn something from and most of all if you get up and try again. :)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 28, 2021, 11:39:08 AM
Every time you fail and learn that you can't do something a certain way is a blessing. Why? Because you've learned something even if it is that you can't or should not do it that way. ;) Always count your blessings. Yes, failing is a blessing especially if you learn something from and most of all if you get up and try again. :)

I am learning. Tried moving all the files over, lost everything. Both files empty. nothing, can't find the forum.

Time to start over again.

Skhilled

At least you've learned to make and keep backup. :) LOL Good deal! ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 28, 2021, 11:48:22 AM
At least you've learned to make and keep backup. :) LOL Good deal! ;)

Never had a backup, because it wasn't used, except for testing. But once I restall I will start backups.

Skhilled

Also learn to use cron jobs or scripts to do auto backups so you'll never be without one. Those types are free but there's a learning curve. 'You can also pay for them like Jet Backups you were asking about before....

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 28, 2021, 11:54:36 AM
Also learn to use cron jobs or scripts to do auto backups so you'll never be without one. Those types are free but there's a learning curve. 'You can also pay for them like Jet Backups you were asking about before....

Just one more thing to learn.

I installed the forum over again. Dam thing ended up again in the wrong location.

Skhilled

Not sure what you are doing for that to happen. If you are using ftp or cpanel you need to make sure you are in the right directory.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 28, 2021, 12:34:10 PM
Not sure what you are doing for that to happen. If you are using ftp or cpanel you need to make sure you are in the right directory.

Right now I am trying my damest to install RC3, using the FTP I just can not get the installer to open everything I try says not found.

This is ridiculous. I think I'll just delete everything, and use the easy way using the host installer for 2.0.18 and leave it.

Skhilled

Well, something isn't going right. Me thinks you are installing it to the wrong place and it can't find it. Try uploading it using cPanel's File Manager then extracting the .zip.

OR

Extract it on your hard drive then use File Manager to upload the extracted files to the dir you've created. I'm thinking you may have uploaded everything including the main upgrade folder. You should only be uploading the files and subdirs within it.

You should not upload the highlighted directory...only what's inside it.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 29, 2021, 07:33:56 AM
Well, something isn't going right. Me thinks you are installing it to the wrong place and it can't find it. Try uploading it using cPanel's File Manager then extracting the .zip.

OR

Extract it on your hard drive then use File Manager to upload the extracted files to the dir you've created. I'm thinking you may have uploaded everything including the main upgrade folder. You should only be uploading the files and subdirs within it.

You should not upload the highlighted directory...only what's inside it.

I tried doing it in the cpanel, but it opened all the files, and couldn't do them all at the same time. So you do it as a Zip, then extract, I will try that.

My problem always was the darn Installer would never open. How I started was zip the package, then install into the public_html, then enter the url plus install.php. nothing ever happened except an error page.

I am going to leave it as it is for now. I will practice installing another forum first. You know me, I do it and it never shows.