Installing Linux on Windows 8

Started by Skhilled, April 06, 2015, 08:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Been trying to accomplish this for 2 days and just found out why... M$ has tightened Win so much it makes it nearly impossible to dual-boot with linux...nearly. I've found out that it's the "Secure Boot" feature that does this. But here's how to get by it:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-windows-8-64-bit-system-uefi-supported

Skhilled

Here's an easier method that uses EasyBCD which I have used before when using Vista. It's a good bootloader!

http://apcmag.com/how-to-dual-boot-windows-8-and-linux.htm/

It seems that most search results give you Ubuntu as the best choice. However, Here's how to do it with Linux Mint 17 which I do like as well.

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/06/11/how-to-dual-boot-linux-mint-17-and-windows-8-on-a-pc-with-uefi-firmware/

Ken.

I haven't messed with Linux much these past 2-3 years, but at one time I got into it pretty deeply. Of all the versions available, Ubuntu is my fav because of it's ease of install and use.
Using a 'Live CD/DVD' with Knoppix has saved my ass a couple of times when trying to recover data from a HDD.  :cool2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

I really liked Knoppix when I tried it a few years ago but haven't tried it since. Having problems getting Suse to work. Maybe I'll try Ubuntu since everyone seems to think it works best for dual-booting.

Maxx

I'm with Ken, I like Ubuntu, better that any of them. I used to write How tos on Unbuntu.

And I still check every year or so. It has so much to offer to those not addicted to Windows like me and all the windows Software I use, there is  application that's call WINE that lets you run certain window software on it. I think may just load up up again, just to refresh my ting bean and put ion my other machine with win 7 on the flip side :)

this Linux version Ubuntu is very good for students, because you can all sort of education packages fro kindred to Rocket science free!

I use Suse many themes and did do it for me :)
they have so many flavors of the SOS it's just a matter looks and feel and may of them crash to easy!

Just a note that the lunix even Ubuntu .... It probably will not have drivers for you Video cared and the board chips sets either and these are things may crash the O)S if you change them. ( for an FYI to the Guest here)

But if you can afford to pay or use Windows OS it's the best in my book  or if you just want learn ... it great stuff!!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Yes, you can use WINE or Crossover to help run windows programs and games in linux. You can also run most games in Steam on linux.

Edubuntu is the educational version of Ubuntu. Personally, I liked Ubuntu Studio which is designed for musicians, songwriters, etc.

When I first tried linux (many years ago) Suse was the only distro I could get to work with my hardware. So, yes, that is one of the pitfalls of linux but most of the hardware does work except maybe something pretty new.

I used to be gun-ho about Windows long ago when I was a beta tester for many of the programs they have now. But not so much anymore. It is the easiest to use but can also be the most problematic. LOL

Ken.

I did the beta testing thing with windows for a while as well... once, back when XP was in beta microsoft sent me a beta release that was on maybe 16-18 cd's and included office xp as well. It were fun.  :cool2:

And speaking of big sets, Suse sent me a release that was on 3-4 cd's... i liked suse, but always ended up with ububtu.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

I think the first time I bought Suse it was on several cd's. I know I still have it around somewhere...

I was testing Office before there was an office. When they were all just separate programs. LOL Still got the test versions...when Frontpage was free. LOL

Maxx

I first used Suse back in 1995 I think.

I did Beta testing for windows 7 , 8 and now 10. and I' used Frontpage every version they released for sale from 1997 till they ended it and started with the Expressions and the one before that. for me at that point, Frontpage was the tops for doing Company and Corp. websites. I made managing many sites very nice. I still have all the old software around.

But on the FrontPage site they where all done manually, coded by me to fit each customer, So I would  for each make a template, and then just dup it for all need pages except the body of same page had to the special( Content) but once you did the custom header and footer and side panels (save as what ever the product name or subject was) then go from the.. I don't believe I read to many instructions mostly trial and error, for me, is the best way to learn by doing and screwing up!

This new Key board I got is awesome, must window function, hit a key is open, the touch on the side is real cool and is only half the size of the others 12 month Battery life.

I'll break it down later but real nice!
If only I could see good!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Just downloaded Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and will try to install it tomorrow. :)

Maxx

I'm down loading it now ask we speak, will do same went I find a blank cd!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

My new DVD burner does not seem to be burning properly...might be the old DVD's I have. LOL

I'll get a new set this weekend and see what happens...

Maxx

See if can find a free  copy of Nero, and you may also look up the manufacturer;s site for the Drivers.

Regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Says hardware issue. Tried Nero and 2 other iso burner software but no luck...

Ken.

All this talk about Linux... Steve, you've got me in the mood to try Ubuntu again.  :happy: