Latest Windows Update May DELETE ALL YOUR FILES

Started by Skhilled, October 07, 2018, 06:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

Woah!   :oops:
I got lucky, because my laptop was manually checked on Saturday (6th) for updates and the available updates were installed. 
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

lurkalot

Nice.  This laptop has downloaded a update today automatically and looks like it's installed it, but it's awaiting a restart.  What does someone do in this situation, any ideas?   If they were supposed to have pulled it, then does that mean the one it downloaded is ok?

Skhilled

What download was it? The one in question was 1803 but the security (large) update. As the video says the others are ok. If you are not sure then don't let it update by changing the "Change Active hours" so it won't update. Also, go to "Update Options"  and turn on the one that says "Show Me A Reminder...". This will always alert you when it is ready to do it and you can keep delaying it for as long as you want.
EDIT: I just got a security update. I knew there was another option but you won't see it until you actually get the update. Next to the "Restart now" button you should see "Reschedule the start". Click it and you can set it for up to 5 days in the future. As long as you've got it set to remind you it will keep reminding you and you can just change it for up to 5 more days until things are resolved. I'm not sure if they did resolve it yet or not. Since they said they pulled it I'm not sure if this is the one or the fixed one. LOL

Skhilled

Ok, if you go to that Youtube video on YT you'll see in the comments that it is safe now. Whew! LOL

lurkalot

It was a couple of smaller updates luckily.  I left my laptop backing up over night, when I looked this morning the damn thing had restarted.  :oops: Everything still there though, so all good.

Skhilled

beast

Mine updated auto and when I turned it on yesterday morning it installed. As far as I know, ever thing is ok

:taz:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled