Windows 10 Technical Preview

Started by Ken., April 18, 2015, 09:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

Windows 10 Technical Preview

My recent adventures with trying to dual-boot Ubuntu on my old laptop ended with a big fat FAIL!   :groan:

So, I'm thinking... "Let start a new adventure!"   :cool2:
This time it's the Beta release of "Windows 10 Technical Preview". The download was OK, at 3.92gigs it only took about 20 minutes to grab a copy and then a few minutes to burn the ISO to a DVD, but the install is a whole 'nother story.

I started the install at about 4:30AM and it's now almost 10AM and the display is showing 26%, so, at this rate the install will finish sometime tomorrow!   :whistle:

EDIT: It has suddenly jumped to 29%... have no idea what that's supposed to mean.   :ohmy2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Maxx

Brother it going slow, not sure what hold up is but maybe there are many updates ..it does a whil3 but that seems too long, I did a download and install at the same time s it took a long time. but from boot up seems real slow to me :)

But if it moving or progressing I say it's working.

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

After about 11 hours it's finally installed!   :ohmy2:

Now me just needs to play with Win 10 for a while.   :happy:

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Cool! Now we wait with baited breath for your review. ;)

Maxx

I hope you like it I do...and glad you got it....!

And I think you may have download and installed at the same time or upgraded, somehow. No way it should have taken that long! to do a fresh install.?

Good Luck Friend!
You do a search if you can't find some thing , and the apps, you can delete some you need not use, and some are just likes to apps, I just keep the news weather, financial  and few others.

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

Two new folders, "Korea Media Player Center" and "Korea Messenger Center", showed up on my Windows 10 desktop and a Google search found this:

You can read about it here:

"Korean Message Center" link appears on the Windows desktop

Symptoms
On systems running Windows Vista or later versions of Windows with the Korean language pack installed, Windows will display two links on the desktop named "Korean Media Player Center" and "Korean Messenger Center."
Cause
The Korean Fair Trade Commission requires that Microsoft include links to these Web sites, which contain links to third-party sites that enable consumers to download and to install third-party media players and instant messaging software. Device manufacturers may not remove the links to the Media Player Center Web site or Messenger Center Web site.
Resolution
These links can be removed by the user, by right-clicking on the link and selecting Delete. They will also be automatically removed if the Korean language pack is uninstalled.
More information
The third-party sites are not under the control of MS or Microsoft, and Microsoft is not responsible for the software and contents of any third-party sites, any links contained in third-party sites, or any changes or updates to the third-party software or sites. The inclusion of any link on the Media Player Center Web site or Messenger Center Web site does not imply an endorsement by Microsoft of the third-party software, the site, or its contents. Microsoft provides no warranty whatsoever with respect to the third-party software.

I just deleted the folders.

Maxx

Wow Ken, I never had any of this happen, but I got my preview from MS insider. But is it working Ok , for you so far?

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

Had a little issue with sound, had to dig through several settings panels and then do a shutdown/restart, but it's working OK now.  :cool2:

Skhilled

Glad you've finally got it going. How do you like it so far?

Maxx

JK ....I think he's trying to keep us in suspense :)

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Or forgetting how to use a PC...

Ken.

Quote from: Maxx on April 19, 2015, 07:30:45 AM
JK ....I think he's trying to keep us in suspense :)

regards,
Maxx
Quote from: Skhilled on April 19, 2015, 08:10:24 AM
Or forgetting how to use a PC...

Errr... NO!  :hah:
Just nothing really big to report. Other than thrashing around to find someplace where the sound could be turned on there's nothing to report.

... there may be more later because I'm thinking about trying to dual-boot Ubuntu with Windows 10.   :cool2:

Maxx

Just Click on the desk top Right click > personalize > then sounds > then click on > playback ... then select you sound source, and set to default!

The screen saver and all that looks and feel stuff is easily done like before Desk top right click!

The thing is that the Widows 10 is more like the 7 in some ways,  but much better security and less resource usage , make is faster or at least smoother, depends on your setting and system!

regards,
maxx

Ken.

Had trouble with my old laptop when trying to install the latest release of Windows 10 (Build # 10074), tried three times to install, but it failed each time.

So... by most accounts this build is very stable and it is close to the finished version, so I thought why not try it on my Lenovo laptop! The install was a little glitchy, but after it installed it seems to be running OK. The only major issue so far is that it is not seeing one partition on the HDD, so for now about 150 gigs of space is missing... gotta get busy on the Windows 10 forums to see if there is a fix available.

I like the start screen, it's a mix of the Tiles and links(on the left side like the 'All Programs' of old) and this version (10074) the menu looks much better because it only covers part of the screen instead of taking the whole screen.
One 'App' that I do not like is 'OneDrive', it is very pushy and there is no uninstall, it's built into the OS. :censored: