Installing Ubuntu on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Started by Ken., April 11, 2015, 11:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxx

OK Gentlemen, I doing it the long and time consuming way bout it's very  good to refresh my bean, and possible learn new stuff along the way:

I found and old CD I made for Xubuntu 10.04, that I can start up in the Windows without booting from Ubuntu!

This allows me to install inside windows and create a dual boot at the same time and I set it up for 30GB, No mistakes to be made! I'm not running it and updating to Version 12.04, them what ever comes up after that, in between I can refresh my mind on the various versions also. The Xubuntu, is a much neater or cleaner flavor of the Ubuntu.. I cave up trying to make a usable .iso so here I go on the long road there :)

I'll post more as I get it done!

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

:censored: :censored: :censored:
Not sure what I've done wrong, but my windows 7 seems to be thrashed!   :groan:

Looks like the restore disk is my only option, but I'm still looking at the situation trying to find another way.

For now I'm trying to restore/repair windows and that's not going too well, the restore didn't work because it's showing no restore points available.

... later:
The repair didn't work, so atm I'm trying use trying to my recovery DVD's to reinstall to 'factory settings' and that's not working either.  :censored:

I have a windows 7 disc, so that may be a way to go... although I seriously considering using my XP Pro disc and just forgetting about win7.
I always loved XP Pro.   :cool2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maxx

Ken,

Very sorry to hear it got trashed!

But Win Zip I think is no longer supported, and if not there will be no security. If you don't allot of windows software? , Why now give the Ubuntu a try first, it works much like windows now days, you may like it it has Office software and allot of other great, I know allot of people that got off the WIN train, will never go back!

I have too much $$ invested in Win software to just go linux!, if not I would ! If 14.+ works good I may devote my monster Machine to Ubuntu! U can use FF browser and some others! :)

Ken.

Maxx, I've not taken any decisions on what to do if this current fresh install fails... Ubuntu is one good option and so is XP Pro.

Just waiting on this last try to cycle through and then decide.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maxx

Oh... the Fresh install of Windows 7 should not give you any problems, I  you need help pls let me know, You will need to delete the current partitions and  format the HDD and create a new partition for win 7, if you had not already have done that part!( this to make full use of your Hard drive!

You probably know all this but just in case!

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

The reinstall is finally working.  :laugh:

So now it's all the updates and software installs... maybe I can try Ubuntu again tomorrow.

Maxx

That's the spirit!

What I do Ken , is to unzip the ISO in a windows folder then, then start the application (exe) and tell it to install inside windows, and it should give the option to select up to 30 GB of space, once it extracts the file needed it should eject the disk from your DVD unit and reboot and you'll need to select real fast unbuntu, so not to boot up in windows, then it will finished the install process.

Good luck tomorrow, I would not install from boot up, unless you really know what to do with partitions!

So every time you boot up you'll need to pay attention and scroll down to unbuntu, before it boots up windows.

regards,
Maxx

Maxx

I'm upgrading to 14.04 at this time att. doing it the hard way.

Sorry you add issue before but this is fun for me and testing is 3rd to Music and Art! :)

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

One thing I've seem to notice with my installs is that if you do not use your primary drive to install linux it doesn't work. I have 3 drives and tried installing on both secondary drives and got nothing. When I tried on my C: drive it asked me what size to partition it and I had no problems.

I'm, not sure if I was doing something wrong or not but that's the only way it worked for me.

Ken.

I'm about ready to try again with Ubuntu and will try your approach Steve.  :cool2:

Maxx

So far A 14.04 install is going great, I opened the iso , and just click on the wubi.exe and it does everything you need if you have the windows installer version.

Set to 30bg  and it does partition and every thing with  out mistakes, but don't stop it for any reason! some time it stops for some seconds in between boot ups>

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Having problems running skype in linux. It seems they've made some changes so it doesn't work as well with linux since M$ took it over.

However, there are plugins for Pidgin and Epiphany messengers. Now to get it to work with either of them...

It is also harder to do root commands or boot into a root account. They've dummied it down I guess.  :censored: I also wanted to run a server on it. Maybe I just have the wrong version of Ubuntu?  ???

Ken.

I'm taking a short break from this dual-boot for a min... got some other stuff that has been on hold and needs to be finished up/taken care of and then I'll try again.   :cool2:

My time yesterday was a bust on the Ubuntu install...  gotta do some more reading before giving it another go.

Skhilled

Maxx

Yes does take while when things don't cooperate with a person.. some times you can find are furbished or cheap laptop with the Ubuntu installed. My New Dell 15+ inch, I got on special for less than 300, has windows 8.1, but I think I'm gonna get the Disk from Ubuntu and devote the Dell to it. OR may Half of it!

Not sure yet. I want to check the latest Linux distros out there!

And Steve I'm really liking this key board ! :)

regards,
Maxx