Steve's Rig 2015

Started by Skhilled, March 01, 2015, 08:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Been thinking about getting a new desk lamp and found this:

Desk Lamp

EDIT: And looking at this router to replace the default Verizon router I have.  :baghead:

ASUS 802.11ac Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router

Maxx

Good Stuff Bro... What do you think It's Christmas :)_ I had and LED flex type and it was too focus in one area! Not sure about this one though, looks a bit expensive ?

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

That looks like a good router.

Me like this one:whistle:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Quote from: Maxx on April 30, 2015, 11:39:36 AM
Good Stuff Bro... What do you think It's Christmas :)_ I had and LED flex type and it was too focus in one area! Not sure about this one though, looks a bit expensive ?

regards,
Maxx
A bit but the LED is supposed to last 5 years with normal use! ;)

Quote from: Ken. on April 30, 2015, 04:42:21 PM
That looks like a good router.

Me like this one:whistle:
Linksys is a good brand for routers and work well with linux...probably better than the rest. But that one is too expensive for me, for a router.

Ken.

I know, just being funny... cost is always a factor for me on stuff like this, or on anything actually.  :happy:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

I think this version was the first one that worked with linux out-of-the-box:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router/dp/B000BTL0OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430478628&sr=8-1

..and is now designed specifically for linux.

Maxx

Doc this is the one I have and Have add for over 10 years with -out fail, mine was  way  over 100 bucks back then, but it's good and, you can setup security nicely with it, good firmware. Cpanel!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Yes, it is still probably the most popular model after all of these years. LOL

Skhilled

I'm thinking about getting this SSD drive:

Crucial MX100 512 GB SATA

It's rated very well...better than the highly rated Samsung...  :whistle:

Maxx

Sorry My friends, But I'm not excited at all about SSD's and I have feeling they may be giving them away in the end. Just the Cut talking!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I do like the idea of the speed enhancements but there is talk of them not having long longevity like the regular hd's...

Skhilled

I've finally decided on this:

WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Drive

I'll post my reasons in another topic soon. Stay tuned...same Bat time, same Bat channel.  :hah:

Ken.

Whoa!  :hah:

Now me officially jealous! 

Maxx

Sounds like and plan, and for purpose I'd Keep Back ups!

The solid state Drives, I think will get slow the more they are load up with Data!

So far not one issue with the WD Black 1TB, but I keep it maintained always!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

That's not the SSD version, those are way too expensive. However, I will get a 500GB SSD for my main drive, eventually. This one is mainly for storage.

I might partition 500GB of it for linux but then again I do have another 1TB, a 500GB, and a 150GB. Hmmmm, might be best to transfer everything from the 500GB to one of the TB drives and use the 500 just for linux. Then I won't have to partition anything.