Steve's Rig 2015

Started by Skhilled, March 01, 2015, 08:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

That's a nice looking box.
I like the parts and pieces he had in that demo model.  :hah:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

I'd doubt I'd get a psu that large...it's overkill for me. LOL

And am pretty sure the 2 video cards are are prolly over $200 or more are not in the deck either....

Skhilled

Ken.

I like all those parts... esp the HDD.  :happy:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maxx

I like the case, very cool and the HDD is the same I got, real  smooth very low vibration and noise, running it a while, no issues.

The IOrbit defrag works great on it, in the back ground. boots real fast!

And even though I have 2 ea. 1 TB HDD's I'm thinking that they may run slow if you don't keep the tidy ?
I feel in reality most could get by with the 350 or 500 GB HDDs and use a backup external HDD .

The DVD unit looks like it has all the good stuff. I use mine for install, movies and Music videos.

Some built machines/Laptops come without the DVD and the OS a;ready installed, Don't like that at all!
I have too many DVD's and CD's to give them up or have external hanging around! :)

Sorry Doc, adding some info for the visitors! :) I get carried away.

Skhilled

I'll eventually get a ssd and use that for the primary drive for more speed. But that'll come later.

Skhilled

Maxx

Good deal and the compound I always keep on hand, I like to clean and replace yearly, it gets dried up. The rest the unit and the heat sink and Fan I do every few months... Sounds like you got a good handle on things my good friend! :)

Just and FYI when you install and start up windows 8.1 you'll have some deleting to do on on those Apps and links to apps you do not want. If you have issue with windows 8, I have it, windows 7 and 10

Have fun Bro! I gonna miss out I love doing them machines!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

This is my 4th rig so I know what to do but it's been 5 years since then and there were only maybe 3 different cpu's etc back then. Now there are way too many to keep up with. LOL

And I always get rid of the bloatware then image the drive without them so I can restore without the bloatware. ;)

Ken.

That's a good looking product list.  :happy:

Choosing between those two power supplies will be difficult, both priced about the same, both have good reviews with 70%+ 5 star ratings for both. Overall the EVGA seems to rate a little higher, so that would sway me if I was ordering.

Maxx

Doc wanted to let you know I purchased one of those Pwr supplies and it died after a few mins. It setting my closet, I read some other and this issue, so please keep this in mind when you test the machine you build..a few others had this issue also, mine was the EVGA 750watt unit! I have feeling they are made in the same factory!

Just an FYI !

Sorry I did not notice this one your list until Ken mentioned it!

regards,
Maxx

Maxx

When select the CPU. first visit the AMD or what ever manufacture's site look up the CPU use the complete numbers, and it will give you a spec chart as to what Ram they recommend to go with the CPU.

You should also find there the wattage and heat or temperatures and bus speed and other neat stuff.
Then you could best select the MOBO you'll need , or if you have a mother board, check if the cpu and ram will work well there.
Now there will some droughts, so what I do is look for the socket type, speed and bus and the wattage as low as I can, this is sometimes tricky, so you need to do some home work on those things! like you said there are many out there.

so may need to go back and forth several time looking for the CPU speed Power and Price, then match the ram according to the CPU and MOBO specs.

I love AMD myself. :)

hope this helps!

maxx

Skhilled

You should also figure in all cards you plan add such as video cards, etc as well as any devices you plan to plug into your USB ports...even if it is just for recharging their batteries. They will make a huge difference in how much power you'll be using. That being said, I have been considering getting a 750w since I plan to get a half-decent video card in the future.

Got the DVDBurner and HDD yesterday. The only problem I have is that the ad said it came with Nero Essentials...it didn't say that it was going to be a trial copy! Maybe I should have read the reviews more. :P But for $20 what do you expect?

Maxx

Oh BTW, I would try to get a CPU that works well with Kingston Memory, all the others I've test had one or more strips came to me bad. I was really just suggesting how to match the board, CPU and memory and also wanted to let you I've had good luck withe Gigabyte MOBOs ! I had a few Asus top line boards that shut down after a few. I like ASUS but beware! :)

I have a ASUS 24" LCD/LED / monitor also ! Full HD HDMI/Digital/RGB watch hulu :)

The new Video cards Collect dust real fast in the their little fans! FYI.

Just thinking Bro!

regards,
Maxx 

Skhilled

I've used Gigabyte boards in the past and my current one is just that.

Yes, the newer cards have dual fans so good airflow is very important! ;)