Main Menu

Say!

Started by Maxx, August 17, 2014, 04:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxx

Just dropped in to say hey! and hope all doing good, I'm staying busy doing nothing all day!

Adding... Bing to your spiders, maybe SMF can implement this in the next patch or what ever

Bing
Bingbot

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Hey, Maxx. LOL, I'm staying busy testing the new RC version of phpBB, atm.

Now that you've mentioned it, I don't recall seeing Bing in the spiders list...

Maxx

Yes in your spiders settings you may add the 2 lines I listed and it will spider you in few yours or less!

Spiders > settings >"add new spider"

They should have this, they are a major player "Bing" if look at my main site you see a roll out on the right that match all topic automatically to various related site specific titles, from Wiki to you tube and virtual the Bet!  buildandtell"....

Very nice!

Oh BTW, Please send me a URL to your RC# test site so I can have look! I have so many scripts installed their, gonna kick me out the host!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Yes, I know how to add them but since you've mentioned it I've realized that they must not be there cause I've never seen them here. LOL I don't use Bing so I just guess I've never thought about it.

And thanks for reminding me. :)

Maxx

Yes I am certain  you know. this was for you visitors FYI.. my post are in general directed to the reader, not the staff :)

Every little cit helps the Community ( SMF).

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Maxx

No bad! :)

Edited my fat fingers lol!

regards,
Maxxt

Skhilled

LOL, actually, I've always like phpBB except that there was no autoinstall for mods and themes...until now. The've changed some of the core code and call mods "extensions" now and there is an autoinstaller which happens to be an extension that you can install. It works well and I have it installed there.

Themes (called styles) still must be uploaded atm but that is supposed to change. That was the things that have stopped me from switching a few times and many others. The permission system is a bit complex but other than that everything else works well. You can see me recipe site using the current stable version, v3.0, here:

http://braisedbutt.com

Maxx

I think I'll give it go just to see how to come up with new style ideas and the usage of CSS3 and maybe some HTML5!

regards,
maxx

Skhilled

Good luck. Keep me posted. :)

Check out the styles they already have first. Most are based on the "Prostyles" style just as SMF themes are mostly based on Curves.

Skhilled

Bing is showing now...

Maxx

Cool!

You may have some Bing user in the counts from them!!
Did you check out the side bar I have from Bing, it's real cool! right open then select a picture of the related topic!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

"Bing User in the counts"   ???

Which side bar and on which site?

Just to clarify to the rest.... Adding a spider like I did does not guarantee they will crawl your site. To let them crawl your site you cannot block them using .htaccess or any other means like IP Deny in cPanel or banning them in the SMF admin. And you may have to submit a request at their main website for sipders/webwebcrawlers to crawl your site.

The reason now they are showing in the Who's Online here is when you add the name in Spiders in the SMF Admin it gives them a name or they would only show as guest and you would not know who they are unless you look up their IP Address. SMF did not add them to the list of spiders so you will have to add them yourself to see the name "Bing".

Maxx

I checked on my site and Bing is viewing the threads, but think is just Bing users, so you probably correct, but at least I know who they are this, not sure if I can get an API key from them I suppose we could...

on build and tell the right side there is a roll out that will appear on the forum ( best) with all related topics, and picture, you can click on any picture and it will open more and give details and video of that topic or news or music, and you can read mouse over videos and get previews without leaving your page, if click video it will open in a new window Xbox music or whatever Wiki and so on. real cool content. without leaving your site!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

They are all bots. Bing users will only show as guests. SMF's Spiders only give the bots that view your site a name and nothing more. When you add one you should also specify its IP
address to be sure it is that particular bot.