My MyBB Project

Started by Skhilled, May 03, 2015, 04:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Completed!  :dancebun:

Here's Docskillz as MyBB:

http://docskillz.com/mybbtest/

You all should be able to login with your same username and passwords.  O0

EDIT: I had one issue where it created a 2nd use with a slightly different name for me but that was easily fixed. It also did not copy the avatars.

I'll play with it a bit more to see if there are any other problems.

Skhilled

I do see strange chars near places where my custom smileys should be. But I expected the custom smileys to not show. Maybe I should have added them first...

Maxx

Yes I had this Also, just edited the post and took them out. I'm sop busy working with MYBB, and so far I'm liking and thinking of dropping some of my SMF site, tired of wait around and getting attitude from those who know everything and do nothing... I also found a cool multi colour responsive theme there, I'm in the process of getting up to date and Google friendly... also found that it's cool to use fonts less that 14px, in you main content, not mobile friend with google and lots peeps complaining their site ranks fell way down do to the new system google has..

I feel bad For SMF and spent many years working and supporting it, those guys are not nice, and stuck on stupid! spending too much time talking down to the community users!

Finding many good things about the MYBB, that are noticeable unless you dig in.. I find mine super fast and it even gives for the server info and resource usage on every page loaded. lts of feature out of plain site!

YUP!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I think I can fix a some of the merge issues before you actually do the merge but I need to do a little research and testing. The docs say to disable all mods, etc. first. I did not do that...to save time and see what would happen.

I will do this again but this time I'll disable the mods, themes and will add my custom themes to mybb to match my smf forum. Hopefully, everything should work with maybe only a few minor issues...or none. LOL

If I find any issues I'll report them to mybb support to see if they can fix them. There's also a board there I need to read and see if any fixes are already in it.

Maxx

Ok Getting Back to this, I'm now test many plug is that so far are all looking good, Forum a few from Vgamer that are working out well, along with many others. finding the full Fledged Template and theme editor, is working real well and let you edit each section of the theme, one by one with an easy edit mode or advanced, I like this, I post How Tos on my new found MYBB software, thanks to Doc for getting me to look at it again!

The forum has all the features I could ask for, but one needs to explore a bit because some are hidden in plain sight, do you need to click to drop down some user options like Profile, normal user feature rather than having them clutter the pages.

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Since I have off from work until Sunday night I'll play a bit more with the merge. I'll disable all mods and themes and get rid of mod db tables and start over. Since MyBB uses UTF-8 I might convert the forum to that first and see if those strange chars come back or not. I may also need to make sure all of the db tables are utf8 as well.

Ronald

Looks nice Steve.. Mybb always did have a nice looking skin..

Spam security is excellent on mybb..

One thing I didn't like was I was constantly in and out of the FTP all the time..

Portal sucks, but with a lot of work you can have a nice one in place..

I found mybb to much of a kiddie place, most of the coders are in there early teens..but they are good.

Skhilled

Agreed! You have to upload your mods and themes but that's not a big deal...and the portal does suck. The portal plugins created are outdated too.

And the support is not as crappy as SMF. LOL

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 15, 2015, 10:36:42 AM
Agreed! You have to upload your mods and themes but that's not a big deal...and the portal does suck. The portal plugins created are outdated too.

And the support is not as crappy as SMF. LOL

I had some good support at mybb, one was about 16 years old smart as a whip..also had euantor, he was a big help, he is a developer..mybb have some nice looking boards out there..

I have no problem with support at smf. Just stay out of Kindred's way, sarcastic as ole heck..runic helps me a lot at times..but he is getting into the Green Party, getting active in it..and then he is in Scotland..

Guess I just play around with the arcade and see if I can get Underdog;s version in..

Skhilled

Don't get me wrong, there are some very nice people at SMF support but the bad ones seem to overshadow them or poke their noses into a topic unnecessarily. This is why so many have left SMF and continue to do so. It not that hard to just answer a question that is asked you instead of putting someone down or the software they are using down. Just help them or stay out of it.

Ronald

Yes I agree, I asked a question about two weeks ago, and Kindred came back with a snide remark, never did get any aswer..

Skhilled

I've been sitting here for the past hour reading the support topics over there is it is a sheer pleasure to see REALLY helpful, clear, and concise support the way it should be given!

I've actually learned a few things that will also help with SMF!  :laugh:

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 15, 2015, 06:46:31 PM
I've been sitting here for the past hour reading the support topics over there is it is a sheer pleasure to see REALLY helpful, clear, and concise support the way it should be given!

I've actually learned a few things that will also help with SMF!  :laugh:

I have been on mybb for some time now. I use the name Rebel over there..

Maxx

I can see the points you all are bringing up. But...

I'm finding many good things about MyBB, over the SMF, But will take days to explain them all.  As Far as the Portal goes, this option may go down the drain, as far being useful, in the near future of the Mobile  devices dominating the here and not trends, allot of stuff in the portals is over kill and repeats information already in the forum structure it's self. and even if you have  a modest detection, the portal drops and is of no use any way. I had to put all the panels on the top and bottom of the pages, And still looks to busy for the phone and such!
There are still some good people over at SMF, but I feel they will if not already get tire of being stuck on talk! and may way to walk the walk!

I found a few themes that are very nice and done with Bootstrap and very pro looking. SMF is still the same old look and stuck on,while  no one wants to chance. all the dev's that SMF, had that really cared are gone off to do better things with lives and time.

I Like the SMF very much , but I'm getting too old to wait for them to move, and shame on you if ask when :) and the only thing they could do to please me now ,is a complete re writ of the system, so it can move with times, and that ant never gonna happen.

All the people that have support the community, in and outside the site, get the as* every time they say or do anything. I'm not just referring to myself but many others.

The MyBB is done a way that it can be changed, if not by the staff, by the users.
If one digs deep into the mybb, they can or will find the potential it has, or could have.
many thing it has in the out of the box package has been need by smf for many years!

I'm still digging into the Mybb, and will continue and until I know well.

All this.. I'm always looking for something to test and help people find their way and will continue help anyone with what ever system  they choose! If I'm able.

I'm not good at talk, but love work things out :)

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

No, don't get me wrong...I am actually really liking MyBB. I can't wait to see what 2.0 has in-store. I may see if I can download a copy and play with it. I think they have it on github...

And yes, SMF does need a total rewrite. ;)