Fix Packages Tool

Started by Skhilled, May 30, 2015, 06:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I was messing around the SMF.org site a few weeks ago and found this tool here:

Fix Packages

QuoteThis allows you to fix various things related to packages - changing the installed status of them and removing integration hooks.

This should be very useful if you are having mod issues and wish to remove the integrated hooks, etc. It should also work well for those who wish to switch to another forum software to help remove your mods.

Ken.

That's a new one to me... looks to be helpful in some situations. It would be nice if they had a little more documentation.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Yes, and if you search it on their site you can't find much info on it. LOL

I plan on testing it myself to see if it works and how well it works. I'll created a duplicate of this site and use it to see how well it works. I just delete about 7 test sites from this server that I was no longer using or needed atm and this will help with my MyBB Merge testing.

Ken.

Quote from: Skhilled on May 30, 2015, 07:01:42 AM
Yes, and if you search it on their site you can't find much info on it. LOL

Yepp... just did a search in the Mods board and came up empty.  ???
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

I did a search on the entire forum about a week ago and nothing came up!  :rofl1:

Maxx

Thanks Steve... and looks like a great find, I knew about some of the other stuff but not this one the should post it some where!

Regards,
Maxx

Ronald

QuoteIf you are using SMF 2.0.x, and a package is shown as installed when it is not, or is shown as uninstalled when it is installed, you can use this tool to fix it: Fix Packages.

Copy this file to your SMF forum main directory, where SSI.php and Settings.php are located. Next, direct your browser to the file fix_packages.php in the same directory as your forum. Select the package and change it to installed or uninstalled.

Do not click the Remove all hooks button unless you know for sure all your mods are uninstalled.

Afterwards, with the installation status set properly, you can attempt to install/uninstall the mod again.

Isn't this about the same as the repair tool

Skhilled

Nope, the repair tool fixes broken links. Let's say you move your forum to a new folder. All of the links to it will say yourforum.com/oldfolder instead of yourforum.com/newfolder. The repair tool fixes those. so everything points to the new folder/location.

The Fix Packages Tool would have helped you with removing the old arcade before installing the new one. It may not remove all code that was added to the smf files but it should help remove the hooks, etc. that regular uninstalling does not usually remove. ;)

Sorry, I did not think of this sooner. I also have not tested it yet so I can point out what may or may not work in any particular case... And as pointed out earlier in this topic ther seems to be no docs for it.  :disgust:

Ronald

Then what is this http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2670

QuoteIUMQ - Install & Uninstall Mods Quickly

- For SMF 2.0.x
- Fully hook, no file modification.

1. Please do your own backup though every installation is backed up automatically.
2. This mod will add a Reinstall and Delete link to the page that appears after the mod is uninstalled.
3. Similarly a Uninstall link is added to page which appears after mod is installed.
4. This enables you to remove and re-install mods quickly.
5. Upon successful installation, you will be directed to Mod Settings page where you can turn this mod on/off.
6. You can test it in lower SMF 2.0.x version too as IMO it should work just fine. ;)

Skhilled

That mod only add a "Reinstall" to the Packages in the admin in case you decide to reinstall something that was uninstalled. It will also add "Uninstall" to outdated mods that usually do not have it showing. It actually, do not make mods easier to uninstall nor does it insure that all hooks and code are removed. It just adds those 2 links to Packages.

Ronald

OK then Fix Packages is a zip. Is it a program that installs and shows in the ACP, or just how does it work..

Skhilled

No, it is a .php file you put in your root folder and run. However, after playing with this for awhile I've found it does not remove code!

It does one of 2 things, depending on which setting you choose:

Remove Hooks:
1.  It can remove the hooks for a mod BUT it does not remove the code. It will also remove it from the list of installed mods although the code was not removed! Some mods do have issues with uninstalling their hooks. This would be useful for that but it does not remove the code. It will remove it from the listing and you MUST then manually remove all of the mod's code yourself.

Uninstall:
2.  It can remove a mod from the list of Packages but it does not uninstall it this way. This is only useful if you have already uninstalled the mod but still see it in the list of installed mods and it will not delete for some reason.

I would only recommend this for people who can manually install or uninstall mods!

Ronald

No good for me... I go in and remove the code myself..