Started by Skhilled, March 25, 2014, 08:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Been playing with phpBB lately. Here's my original recipe forum:

http://skhilled.net

Here's the same forum (minus a couple of posts) in phpBB:

http://www.docskillz.com/phpbbtest/portal.php  O0

Skhilled

Got a few games installed and will be adding more. :)

Skhilled

I will be making the switch to phpBB for that site soon. ;)

Skhilled

OK, playtime is over and I have completed the move from SMF to phpBB at http://skhilled.net!!!

Skhilled

Skhilled

Skhilled

Skhilled

OK, since Maxx started talking about myBB and I haven't tested it in quite awhile I figured I'd try it again. :)

The latest version, 1.8 (just released 8.31.2014) seems very easy to use I believe the admin could be a tad more user-friendly but it does contain a lot of nice features! :) Themers will like the fact that you can edit the .css files directly in the admin! Other than that, it has a lot of features simiar to SMF BUT it has a portal pre-installed! For me, the jury is out on support. They do answer topics but do not seem very friendly but they are not mean toward their users from what I've read so far. They just seem indifferent or just straight to the point which is not necessarily a bad thing, just not inviting.

Compared to phpBB? I still prefer phpBB because of the wealth of mods and features it has although it can take a bit of time to get use to...especially the permissions.

So, if you prefer something a bit easier to use with the ability to edit themes right in the admin, myBB is for you! If you want more features and mods and can deal with things being a bit tougher to learn then try phpBB! Howver, phpBB is coming out with their latest version soon, 3.1! They are currently in RC atm so things may or may not change when the final is released.

Maxx

Yes I like them, both, But like you mentioned, I think for users new to the FORUM/PORTAL thing this is a much easier want to get start with your site and the learn process (MyBB) that is. the Post thread editor is very nice and comes with and drop down Video Embed system, and many other features that are need. In the admin you can bring up through drop downs every line one at a time of the css and or php files and edit them as you please in the themes area. you may also add custom code in the from field in those drop down fields.

Note: That the Mods and Themes need to be upload Via FTP, ( and a few other requirements may apply) but I like this, because it helps one learn the system ways and means, I think, I may do, like I mentioned to Doc some how tos, on that test site I started, and Doc also mention the support, I have no gotten into that much yet, but this what we like doing so, it cool and nothing like one on, one help!

Yes, there are things to be improved, but they: MyBB and phpBB are on the move at the least >> that's a good thing.

That said there are too many things to post in one, and so much to learn yet, We're on the move again and the boredom, once again in the past for me at least lol! :)

Once I get something worth looking at I'll post it, if Doc does not mind?

regards,
maxx

Skhilled

Mods and themes need to be uploaded in phpBB in the current version but if you install Automod it will allow you to upload and install via the Admin. In the new version they are working on the same for mods (extensions) and supposedly the same for themes (styles).

You are welcome to post your findings. I don't mind at all. :happy:

Maxx

Cool, thanks and Back work on  it, I know someone that may help with Mods for the one I'm testing, I hope!

But if not I'll try myself later on along the way. Nice talking to you!

regards,
Maxx

Maxx

Doc,

The more I toy with the MyBB, the more I'm liking it... Sure hope they keep going forward with it!

regards,
maxx