Down and uploading

Started by beast, January 26, 2012, 07:58:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beast

I guess he did. Its working good now. I still wish I knew how to fix it myself,

:dontknow:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

If you will please answer my questions I might be able to figure it out and tell you. I ask them so I can at least narrow down what could be the problem and hopefully find a fix so it does not happen again.

Knowing what game you installed is important because there could be a problem with the game itself...if this is happening when you try to install the same game.

Knowing what type of game you are installing will also help for the same reasons.

Knowing exactly how you installed the game...same reasons.

Pinpointing these things might even lead to the discovery of a bug in the arcade. But I can't fix anything if I do not know how it was broken. You must log what you do and how you do it as well as explaining any onscreen errors as well as any errors in the forum log. those 2 things will help you and help those that are trying to help you. This is exactly the reason for the "Changelog". ;)

beast

Ok I went to admin. and permissions and check ever ones. They can all play the games except guest. I found out what I was doing wrong to get the blank page, and how to fix it. I am learning so much I can't believe it. The best thing I have learn is, take your time, and check ever thing out before you start doing any changes.

Hey! Thank you

Skhilled

You're welcome, but I still don't know what you did to get the blank page!  :rofl1:

beast

I was installing some games. One or more of them *3 of them* were corrupt, or something wrong with them. Ozzie told me all you have to do is go to your game package and delete them.  I haven't got to do it myself yet but I tried ever thing else and it didn't work so it makes sence

:banghead:

Skhilled

I figured it had to be something wrong with the game(s) you were trying to install cause nothing else made sense.

beast

Whats the link to my test site. ?

beast

I am sick. I went to install a game on my home site .... acresofgoldv32 ....  And I get this ....   Unable to move directories from "/home/stumpbur/public_html/forum/Games/acresofgoldv32/gamedata" to "/home/stumpbur/public_html/forum/arcade/gamedata/acresofgoldv32". Please do it manually!

I use to go to FZ and check and find the game and delete it. I can't even find the game now so I don't know where to go or what. Ozzie said the other day on the blank page I got on it to go to game package. I can't even find that. I need someone too take me by the hand and lead me thru it step by step.

I've really been busy with the wife and Doc. lately but I'll try and catch you in the morning

Skhilled

Look up the post (or was it a pm) I gave you for the game I installed and told you that you must make sure that you do it that way.

The problem is that you do not have a directory and/or files in the correct directories. Remember, some of the files go in /Games while some of the same ones go into /arcade.

beast

So how can I install games with out it messing up ever time? And if it does. How do I fix it? I install over 700 game, and now I can't do even one. I'm sorry but maybe I just need a little more instructions. I get so disgusted when I think I've learn something and it turns out I didn't.

:dontknow: :groan:

Skhilled

You have 2 arcade choices...SMF Arcade (the official that you are using now) or Underdog's version (the unofficial version):

* Link no longer valid

With the official arcade you must copy some of the files manually to the /arcade directory for each game as I've shown you before.

Underdog's version has a built in tar uploader that will do it for you. Unfortunately, it is no longer maintained by him. It will work for SMF 2.0.2, but he said he has no plans for further updates after that one. So, when SMF upgrades again it may or may not work and you might be on your own.

I will be making a tutorial for manually installing those types of games, eventually. Either way, with SMF Arcade you will still have to manually copy the files into the correct directories. With Underdog's version you will have to either:

1.  Delete the games and reinstall them. This way will make installing them easier but you'll still a lot of work deleting them all first and then reinstalling again.

or

2.  Fix them the same way you have to if using SMF Arcade.

No matter what you do, you'll have your hands full for quite awhile with 700 games. The only thing I can suggest is to uninstall SMF Arcade on your test site and install Underdog's and see how it goes for you.

Skhilled

beast

I see now where I got the blank page from. I don't know how to do it correctly yep but I will play with it on the test site and learn how to do it. That tuter is going to help a lot of people. Thank You

:happy: :hah:

Skhilled