A Visitor with a very Snappy Attitude!

Started by Ken., August 19, 2015, 01:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

We have a visitor with a very Snappy Attitude!

While doing some work in our garage I noticed some movement in our parking area, so I investigated and it turns out that our visitor is a Chelydra serpentina, also know as a Snapping Turtle. This little guy lived up to his name very well because while standing close to him he followed my foot around, trying to give me a little nip!  :o

I loaded him up in the wheelbarrow and took him out back, near the small stream on the back side of our property, hopefully he likes it there. When loading him up I used a shovel, didn't want to pick him up with my hands of course... he was biting the crap out of the shovel.

In the parking area:

Out back, headed for the stream:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maxx

Very Nice takes me way back, we had some of those as pets, for awhile then took them back to woods and the creek!

regards,
Maxx

Zacharia

8) Back in the day we had a one acre pond that I used to fish at there was a Snapper there about 30 in" across it would sit in front of me just off shore and wait for small fish I'd throw back for an easy lunch LOL he was quick and we became good friends  :cooking:

Skhilled

About 2 years ago, I was at work talking to a girl and noticed some movement behind the machine I was working at. Turned out to be a small snapper. LOL It have been raining very heavily that year and a creek is about 1/4 mile from my building. There was some major flooding so we assumed it got washed there. The girl I was talking to gently picked it up and returned it near the creek.

Also, that same year, I saw a large snapper trying to hide from me. It's shell was about 2.5 - 3 feet long! I know I've got a photo of it somewhere but can't find it atm. :P

Ronald

The townhouse I have in South Lyon Mich. there is a small inland lake, loaded with snappers. Some are as round as about 15" across, we make em big here..

I have seen them come out to lay eggs then leave..They have a good life in the lake, there is cat fish in there, crappies, small mouth bass, and walleye..and of course loaded with the good ole Canada geese..