In need of help

Started by Ronald, October 18, 2020, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

For a few years I had my senior forum running on SMF 2.1 Beta RC2. After numerous errors, and no fixes for them. I decided to pack it in and removed the forum, and opened up a new forum on myBB.

Now after almost a month of running myBB, I now know this was not the way to go. myBB is not all that great like we all figure it is. It is constant work to keep it going. Just not what I really wanted in the first place.

Now I would like to convert myBB 1.8 back to SMF 2.0.17. So far the forum is small, only a few members and not all that many topics and postings, but enough to move.

I need some help in doing this move, I really don't have faith in myself to do this, seems when I attempt things like this all goes wrong.
Is there anyone willing to help do this conversion.

Thanks
Ron.

Skhilled

Hi, Ron. Sorry I didn't get  back to you...been  busy. Ill look  in  to  this  soon.

Skhilled

Ron, been trying and trying this on two fresh test forums, smf and myBB and all I get is errors. Not sure what to do. I've got the latest copies.

EDIT: Found a fix. The issue depends on whether you are using mySQL or MariaDB for your databases. I am using MariaDB on this server and the original convert.php is coded for mySQL.

For MariaDB you have to make the following edits in 4 places:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=564239.msg4001729#msg4001729

I'm converting it now. It says the process may take some time. I'll let you know when it's done and if it worked. I also see you've got Bigguy trying as well. If he is already doing it then let me know so I can stop.

Ronald

Geoff says he was going to try sometime today. I'll tell him to hold off, he is having more problems trying to get into th cPanel.

Skhilled

Well, I've ran the conversion over an hour ago and it seems to be stuck on the first part. LOL I have to drive to Philly to see my nephew in about an hour and will have to look at it when I get back.

Let Geoff keep going as he may have better luck with it or find a fix that I haven't found yet.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on October 24, 2020, 09:46:24 AM
Well, I've ran the conversion over an hour ago and it seems to be stuck on the first part. LOL I have to drive to Philly to see my nephew in about an hour and will have to look at it when I get back.

Let Geoff keep going as he may have better luck with it or find a fix that I haven't found yet.

OK, I'll go tell Geoff to try again.

Do you need the cPanel info.

Skhilled

Only if I can get this thing going. LOL After about two hours it's seems to be stuck so I'm getting nowhere...

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on October 24, 2020, 10:48:04 AM
Only if I can get this thing going. LOL After about two hours it's seems to be stuck so I'm getting nowhere...

Anything I can do to help?

Skhilled

Skhilled

Ron, I meant to ask you which type of database are you using? mySQL or MariaDB?

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on October 25, 2020, 08:58:15 AM
Ron, I meant to ask you which type of database are you using? mySQL or MariaDB?

Operating System   linux

If this is wrong how do I tell about the database

Ronald

I did some looking around and database is mySQL

Skhilled

Looks like I was wrong too. At one point we did have MariaDb but are now using mySQL. LOL I think when we changed servers we changed it back and I forgot.

So, Geoff has had no luck? I can try to do it on your server instead of mine. It may work better. You'll need to send me the cPanel details. I probably won't be able to get to it today...maybe.