internal server error on SMF 2.0.2

Started by pickwizard, July 16, 2012, 06:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickwizard

just installed SMF Arcade 2.5 RC1.1D is its working fine, i updated my site yesterday to SMF 2.0.2

ive installed pack 22 (SMFarcade v1) and the games play fine and submit the score fine but game pack 21 which submits via phpBB, the games play ok but give an internal server error on submitting score

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Skhilled

Hi pickwizard and welcome to Docskillz. :)

The only reason I can think of that it is doing that could be that you do not have your directory and file permissions setup correctly for SMF and/or the arcade and game files. It will do that on some servers if they are not set properly.

I've split this topic because it had nothing to do with the original poster's issues. It will make things much less confusing.

pickwizard

Thanks for the welcome Skhilled, my site has since gone down for some reason.

QuoteService Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

cant even connect via the ftp, the database is in tact and the private sql reports as ok but i cant login.

once i can, assuming its a provider fault i will check the premission of the games folder, should they be 722 ?

thanks

Skhilled

Yes, it sounds like you're having server issues. That might have been the problem all along.

Only your hosting can tell you what your permissions for folders and files should be. They might each be different, depending on the server. But they are usually "777 for folders AND files" OR "755 for folders and 644 for files". There is no way for me to know since I did not setup the server.

pickwizard

Thanks for the rapid reply, the site just started working again, i can only assume it was a provider fault.

check the GAMES folder and its set to 755.

games folders are are all 777

i tested with 3 folders to start with, the snake3, a smf pack22 and a pack 21 which is phpBB which are all 777

internal files are all 666

the snake3 and pack22 work fine its just the phpBB ones seem to return a error on submitting a score

Skhilled

Folders should 777 or 755 not both. And I doubt the files should be 666. Best to check with your provider.

Also make sure the individual game settings are correct.

EDIT: Ask your hosting to set permissions for you, if they will do it. Some will and some won't.

Skhilled

pickwizard

since then ive installed SMF Arcade 2.5 RC2 and set permissions to 755 from 777 and its working fine, many thanks for your valued help

Skhilled

Ah! I thought it was 777 but no way for me to really tell. The last time I had my forum on a 777 server I kept getting Internal Server Errors whenever the permissions were not set correctly. ;)