Computer Love > Projects

Steve's Rig 2015

<< < (2/30) > >>

Maxx:
Another thing that comes to mind is the sata connectors both on the drive and the cables are very fragile and break easily so plz take care those, and some with little like lock down levers one them so they do not come lose so easy. and make certain on Pwr supply that it has the correct plug type or types for the CPU power, so you may ask you friend before you by the power supply. Mine had dual fans and on off switch, some do not,

All dram and Video bus speeds must match the board, and I myself prefer to use the mid speed and if your gonna go 64 bit, make certain your favorite software will and all are 64bit as well. ( but some of the newer software will work in the 32bit mode on your windowz 7,8 and up, I run all at 64 Bit.

Maybe you know all this just a reminder on whatever!

regards,
Maxx

Maxx:

--- Quote from: Ken. on March 01, 2015, 03:56:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Skhilled on March 01, 2015, 02:46:11 PM ---Yes, the SSD'd also tend to wear out faster from what I've been reading in reviews so the jury is still out on that.

So, I may opt for the two 1 TG drives. I always dual-boot with at least one version of linux and that would give me enough space for several distros to play with.

--- End quote ---

I've read those reviews as well, but there seem to be many positives as well and to me the main one would be SSD speed as compared to other drives available... so if it were me building a new PC a small SSD, just big enough to hold the OS, would be my first choice for the main drive and then one or two regular (SATA) drives for programs and storage.

Me gonna enjoy seeing you build this one Steve.  :cool2:

--- End quote ---

I'm all for that and just surfing the web. and do your work on the HDD.  I can see some laptops doing better on SSD also! I think it great Idea for some things!

Maxx

Skhilled:

--- Quote from: Ken. on March 01, 2015, 03:56:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Skhilled on March 01, 2015, 02:46:11 PM ---Yes, the SSD'd also tend to wear out faster from what I've been reading in reviews so the jury is still out on that.

So, I may opt for the two 1 TG drives. I always dual-boot with at least one version of linux and that would give me enough space for several distros to play with.

--- End quote ---

I've read those reviews as well, but there seem to be many positives as well and to me the main one would be SSD speed as compared to other drives available... so if it were me building a new PC a small SSD, just big enough to hold the OS, would be my first choice for the main drive and then one or two regular (SATA) drives for programs and storage.

Me gonna enjoy seeing you build this one Steve.  :cool2:

--- End quote ---
Yes, a SSD should be the primary drive so your PC and startup programs boot much faster. Programs you will load after bootup will also load a lot faster. You don't really need much more than 500GB for a primary drive unless you like to install a ton of programs and keep them all installed at once. Otherwise, you should put photos, videos, files you save or backup to your seconday or other drives. This will help keep your primary drive clutter free, mostly.

--- Quote from: Maxx on March 01, 2015, 04:00:08 PM ---Another thing that comes to mind is the sata connectors both on the drive and the cables are very fragile and break easily so plz take care those, and some with little like lock down levers one them so they do not come lose so easy. and make certain on Pwr supply that it has the correct plug type or types for the CPU power, so you may ask you friend before you by the power supply. Mine had dual fans and on off switch, some do not,

All dram and Video bus speeds must make the board, and I myself prefer to use the mid speed and if your gonna go 64 bit, make certain you favorite software will and all are 64bit as well. ( but some of the newer software will work in the 32bit mode on your windowz 7,8 and up, I run all at 64 Bit.

Maybe you know all this just a reminder on whatever!

regards,
Maxx

--- End quote ---
You should always be careful when connecting something to your mobo. If it breaks everything else may not work since it is the heart of your system. As for the PSU, I like dual fans as well for better airflow. However, this must also coincide with your case's airflow to maximize it. ;)

I tend to go midspeed as well. But I have overclocked a few times and have blown a board doing it. LOL So, I tend to stay on the low side, if I OC. When I built this board, 64 bit was the latest thing but the problem was only a few software manufacturers actually had software that actually used it. So, I stuck with 32-bit mode and do until this day, mostly because of Vista. I may go full 64-bit this time because you can use 32-bit compatibility mode for 32-bit programs which is a lot more reliable than it was years ago.

Maxx:
Steve I got one of these running in my main PC, I like WD. on special My cost more.

WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Extra savings w/ promo code ESCAPAT34, ends 3/8
4 out of 5 eggs (325)   |   Write a Review

--- Code: ---Newegg.com
--- End code ---

Skhilled:
Actually, I was just looking at that same one on amazon.com and it's about $5 cheaper and I may even get it cheaper than that and with no shipping charges because I'm a Prime Member. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version