I screwed up somewhere? Need Help

Started by Ronald, December 09, 2020, 05:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

I installed a old version of a christmas skin, it worked and looked good so I made it default for all members. Now when I was reinstalling the mod.'s one called for a code change, so I went into the cPanel and made the code change and then got an error [Unable to load the 'main_above' template.]

Not thinking, my dumb, I deleted that theme skin. The forum went down.

I need to make the smf default skin default again.

Someone said to download new theme files, this is where I need help with..Not sure how to do this.

Ronald

I got it back up and running good.

BUT I can't seem to secure it, I have reinstalled the key the certificates.

What is happening.

Skhilled

Prolly a link to an unsecured image or something.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on December 10, 2020, 10:32:14 AM
Prolly a link to an unsecured image or something.

No I installed an old christmas skin from 1.1.7 it did go in b ut missing a lot. I was changing a code, and it didn't like it. I removed the skin forgetting it was now default.

So Kindred told me to use index-1 on the link and I got into the forum and changed the default skin to default.

My problem now is I can get the url secured. I tried evrything, just won't take.

Skhilled

Oh... Can't install any mods or themes from SMF 1.1.x to 2.0 or 2.1! You would need to remake the theme based on the version you are currently using for it to work.

I did see the post at SMFH that you've got it secured now. :)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on December 11, 2020, 09:01:59 AM
Oh... Can't install any mods or themes from SMF 1.1.x to 2.0 or 2.1! You would need to remake the theme based on the version you are currently using for it to work.

I did see the post at SMFH that you've got it secured now. :)

I know but what the heck, have to learn, I don't know how to change things in the dkins, I look and it's amazing what a big mess it is, how you people can figure the skins out is beyond me.

Yep did a repair and found a few http:// changed them to https://, now got the secure lock showing..

Skhilled

You have to learn how to use Web Developer for the browser you are using. For Chrome and Firefox you press "F12". You'll see a window popup that will stay on the screen only for the page you do it on. After that, you can play with changing colors, images, etc. until you like what you see. You don't have to worry because any changes you make are only on the screen and ARE NOT permanent. You would have to actually open and edit the corresponding file to make the change permanent.

Yup, I assumed that there was something that was not using https that was causing it. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on December 11, 2020, 09:14:19 AM
You have to learn how to use Web Developer for the browser you are using. For Chrome and Firefox you press "F12". You'll see a window popup that will stay on the screen only for the page you do it on. After that, you can play with changing colors, images, etc. until you like what you see. You don't have to worry because any changes you make are only on the screen and ARE NOT permanent. You would have to actually open and edit the corresponding file to make the change permanent.

Yup, I assumed that there was something that was not using https that was causing it. ;)

F12. Just did it I will give it a try.

Skhilled

Click the little square with the cursor on it. When you hover over it, you'll see a tooltip say "Pick an element from the page". Click it and then move your mouse to something over the page like a button and you'll see the code for it.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on December 11, 2020, 09:22:27 AM
Click the little square with the cursor on it. When you hover over it, you'll see a tooltip say "Pick an element from the page". Click it and then move your mouse to something over the page like a button and you'll see the code for it.

OK will play with this later.. Got work to do around the house.

Skhilled

Ok, have fun. I've always wanted to do a basic tutorial on it. But now I've got the hosting and the themes going it's a bit hard. Although, it would help over at CZ.

I'll try to work on it when time permits. Hopefully, it will help people. :)

EDIT: Btw, SMF 2.1 is mostly css and is easier to work with while 2.0.x contains more images that are pasted together so it's harder to work with.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on December 11, 2020, 09:32:05 AM
Ok, have fun. I've always wanted to do a basic tutorial on it. But now I've got the hosting and the themes going it's a bit hard. Although, it would help over at CZ.

I'll try to work on it when time permits. Hopefully, it will help people. :)

EDIT: Btw, SMF 2.1 is mostly css and is easier to work with while 2.0.x contains more images that are pasted together so it's harder to work with.

I don't figure on 2.1 until it's final.

Skhilled

Me neither. But there are pluses and minuses to both versions...but overall 2.1 is better to work with themes.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on December 11, 2020, 09:50:01 AM
Me neither. But there are pluses and minuses to both versions...but overall 2.1 is better to work with themes.

I liked the 2.1 it has some better looks than the 2.0 has.

Skhilled

The biggest issue with 2.1 themes is that they've grouped a lot of the styles together. When you edit one thing, it also makes changes to other things at the same time.