Photobucket Images

Started by Skhilled, July 22, 2017, 05:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I have a Photobucket account and have uploaded dozens of images to it. This also includes my sig and others. Today, I've noticed a link to Photobucket instead on my sig, here and at Ken's site. They want people to upgrade to a paid account to do that.

I tried to install Coppermine but it doesn't use the MariaDB databases that are used on my server. I installed Piwigo and it worked but when I link to my images that are not the same size. In fact, they are much smaller when viewed on a forum. That was a wasted 1.5 hours installing it and a lot of various plugins. LOL

]So, this prompted me to host my own images, since I have plenty of space. I'm posting this so everyone else who has a Photobucket account will be aware of what's going on over there.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on July 22, 2017, 05:41:36 PM
I have a Photobucket account and have uploaded dozens of images to it. This also includes my sig and others. Today, I've noticed a link to Photobucket instead on my sig, here and at Ken's site. They want people to upgrade to a paid account to do that.

I tried to install Coppermine but it doesn't use the MariaDB databases that are used on my server. I installed Piwigo and it worked but when I link to my images that are not the same size. In fact, they are much smaller when viewed on a forum. That was a wasted 1.5 hours installing it and a lot of various plugins. LOL

]So, this prompted me to host my own images, since I have plenty of space. I'm posting this so everyone else who has a Photobucket account will be aware of what's going on over there.

Were you been, this  has been going on for close to 3 weeks now.. PB must have just gotten arounfd to you.. I got my notices a couple of weeks ago..

I started  to host my own images a couple of weeks ago..

Beast got the same and he also wishes to host his own images..

Skhilled

I only got the change yesterday. They said there's millions of people who do it so it may take awhile for them to get to everyone.

SMF Gallery is the only free SMF mod that is updated regularly:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=473

The pro version is $49/year:

http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-gallery-pro.php

But I've decided to not use either one in case I choose to leave SMF or they stop updating it. So, I've created directories on my VPS just for photos where I can keep them organized and can backup the main photo directory and get them all at once if I have to.

Scrubmeister

I've noticed those "upgrade to a paid account" notices when I have been surfing some other forums lately. They show where pictures would have been.

Never used someone else to host my pics. If you have a hosting account you can do it yourself.

Did someone buy Photobucket? Trying to maximize returns?

Can't you use Google Drive for free up to a certain GB? (for those without host account)

Skhilled

I've been using PB for many years back when hosting only gave you mb accounts. LOL It was a lot easier to use that or tinypic since server space was at a premuim.

Yes, you can use Google Drive (I forgot about that) but since I have a ton of space I just do it on the VPS and there's no middle man..

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on July 23, 2017, 06:40:09 AM
I only got the change yesterday. They said there's millions of people who do it so it may take awhile for them to get to everyone.

SMF Gallery is the only free SMF mod that is updated regularly:

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=473

The pro version is $49/year:

http://www.smfhacks.com/smf-gallery-pro.php

But I've decided to not use either one in case I choose to leave SMF or they stop updating it. So, I've created directories on my VPS just for photos where I can keep them organized and can backup the main photo directory and get them all at once if I have to.

My own photos I keep on my computer, when I want to use them I have been using imgur hosting.

The forum images like the banner and other images that show, I have made a file in the cpanel and using the url supplied. This way they'll never go, unless I delete them from the file..

Skhilled

I keep mine on my PC too. I also keep them on a flash drive just in case the hard drive fails or they get mistakenly deleted since i'm not the only one who uses this PC. I just bought a two pack or them, 32GB each. They were on sale plus I have about 3 others around somewhere.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on July 23, 2017, 08:07:46 AM
I keep mine on my PC too. I also keep them on a flash drive just in case the hard drive fails or they get mistakenly deleted since i'm not the only one who uses this PC. I just bought a two pack or them, 32GB each. They were on sale plus I have about 3 others around somewhere.

Just received some I bought on EBay. 256 GB got half a dozen and I got a 2seagate 2 TB portable for backups..

Skhilled

lurkalot

Stopped using photobucket years ago, it really doesn't surprise me that they've done this, though it's upset a lot of people, and made quite a mess of thousands of forums.

Steve was this the same issue you were facing with Coppermine? http://forum.coppermine-gallery.net/index.php/topic,77852.msg376345.html#msg376345

Skhilled

No, actually, the error I'm getting says mysql is not enabled in PHP. I've went into WHM and installed everything related to mysql although I'm using mariadb. I've read that same topic and a few others. I think it boils down to the settings in php.ini. I've created a topic at cpanel forums to see if I can install both mysql and mariadb at the same time...which would be nice. But I doubt that will happen.

lurkalot

Quote from: Skhilled on July 23, 2017, 05:14:46 PM
No, actually, the error I'm getting says mysql is not enabled in PHP. I've went into WHM and installed everything related to mysql although I'm using mariadb. I've read that same topic and a few others. I think it boils down to the settings in php.ini. I've created a topic at cpanel forums to see if I can install both mysql and mariadb at the same time...which would be nice. But I doubt that will happen.

I will try a d some digging myself, and see if can get some info regarding the Coppermine stuff.  Was this Coppermine 1.5.x series or the new 1.6.x https://github.com/coppermine-gallery/cpg1.6.x/releases

Skhilled

It was 1.5.46 from this page: http://coppermine-gallery.net/

I didn't know about the 1.6 series.

aura

Steve i have a coppermine gallery if you want to look into/play around with one set up, let me know and i will pm you my login and password.  (dont think i am saying you dont know how to use coppermine LOL im not)

I havent been around avatar forums much lately but someone told me that photobucket wanted 300 a year, not sure if thats true or not, if its true they will not keep a lot of people who use them online, i know what a carry on there was when fotki started to charge.  Trouble is people want everything for free and someone has to pay for the space on the net.

Siggy and Mega by me

Skhilled

Thanks for the offer. I can set one up on the hosting I use here. I was trying to set it up on the VPS cause I have a ton of space there.

Very true! I've had that account for so long I tend to forget about it. The only photos that are linked are probably my sig and a few others that were attached to posts years ago. I've put in a ticket at the cPanel forums. Since I'm a paid customer they'll probably help me solve it. There's probably something I need to install and/or code to add to the php.ini.