A question about game categories?

Started by Grammy, May 25, 2016, 10:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grammy

This may be a skin-specific question, but I was wondering a couple of things about game categories? 

First, is it possible to get rid of the "Default" category?  All my games are assigned to something specific, as soon as I install them and I'd like to remove "Default" from the category section.

Second, is it possible to have the categories appear alphabetically?  I see there are numbers next to them in the admin section.  Will changing the numbers change the ranking order?  (And if that's so, will putting a zero next to Default remove it?)  I could go ahead and try, but I sure would hate to wreck anything.

Thanks!   :)

Skhilled

Hi Grammy!

Currently, there is no way to delete categories via the admin that I am aware of...although, that would be a nice feature. ;) You have to do it via the database and coding.

As far as them appearing alphabetically changing the numbers set their order of appearance/ranking.

Putting a zero will not remove nor delete a category. That will only put the category in the first position

However, a request for those things is in order.  :cool2:

Grammy

Well....  you know how I said I didn't want to wreck anything?   :baghead:

I did, but then I "fixed" it, if that makes sense.  I'm not sure what happened, but I changed "Default" to 0, then I changed all the numbers from 1-16 (in my case) to correspond to the alphabet.  Then I checked all the boxes, each box by the category and clicked "Save"....  and they all disappeared, ha!  Every one of them, even Default.  Good news is that I made a screenshot before I did that, so I just added all new categories, this time, alphabetically, without added Default, and they're all there.  I'm adding a screenshot.

Unfortunately, now I have to go back and add reassign the games to categories.

So...  I did it, but it was an accident?   HA! 

Skhilled

Ok, what skin are you using? And whcih version of the arcade are you using?

And I think you've just found a bug. I checked here and the games do not show unless you manually go into each game and reset each one's settings' category again.

Grammy

It's Jeza skin and 2.5 RC2, which is odd, because the zip name was SMF-Arcade-RC3.zip.  I installed it with the package manager, so I can't understand why it's RC2 and not RC2.   ???

The games show up in the overall alphabetical "Arcade - List Of Games", but when I check "Edit Games" they no longer have categories.  I'm editing them now, though, as fast as I can, and the individual category amounts are changing, as I do.

EDIT:  I guess the template is RC2.

Skhilled

You mean the arcade version you have installed is RC2. The current version released is RC3 which you can get here and has some bug fixes.

I have RC4 installed here but that is a test version for the upcoming release...no time frame for when it will be released.

Yes, I get the same here for the categories. I'll have to let Underdog/Chen Zhen know about this... Thanks for asking so now we know. ;)

Time for me to get some rest for work but if you find anything else please let us know! :)

Grammy

The zip is called SMF-Arcade-RC3.zip, but maybe so, then...  I was just thinking that the template is RC2.  Okie dokie!

Thanks and have a good evening!  :happy:

Grammy

Okay, for Skhilled or Underdog, or anyone else who sees this...  I'm confused about the version I have.  I downloaded the zip on this site and it's exactly the same zip I already installed.  The zip name is SMF-Arcade-2.5RC3.zip. 

The first screenshot shows it sitting on my server in my SMF Packages directory where it was uploaded via the package manager.  It says RC3. 

In my forum's Admin panel, the Package Manager shows it as 2.5.1 (second screenshot). 

But in the Arcade's Admin section, it's called 2.5 RC2 (last screenshot).

So now I'm just stumped.  What version is it?   ???

Skhilled

Hmmm, I thought I fixed that... It's just a version text issue but is RC3.

Grammy

Quote from: Skhilled on May 26, 2016, 09:26:49 AM
Hmmm, I thought I fixed that... It's just a version text issue but is RC3.

Whew, that's a relief!   :happy:

If I have a couple of suggestions (requests) for the arcade, where's the appropriate place to post those? 

Skhilled

You can post them here or at Underdog's site:

http://www.web-develop.ca/

EDIT: He is working on a SMF 2.1 version...