Curious question regarding upgrade SMF 1.1.x to 2.0.x

Started by limitzero, September 11, 2012, 12:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limitzero

First off, great site you have here Skhilled, very informative, love the tutorials and look forward to them. I think you might remember me from Logo Off, where rock has helped me with a custom theme for my site.

Anyways, I was just curious about one thing, say if I am currently on SMF 1.1.16 and I want it to upgrade it to 2.0.2 without actually 'upgrading' the traditional way. I am thinking of doing a Clean new install of SMF 2.0.2 and then shoving the mysql code from my previous 1.1.16 SMF into this clean new install of 2.x (please note, also switching servers so some settings in config will have be reconfigured I understand). So I guess what I am asking is, is this do-able/plausiable? What is the worst that can happen? (Obviously I am just playing around to see the effect or if it would work, not going to destroy my site ;) )

I haven't tried it out yet, but I figured it won't hurt to ask.

I have read your guide on how to go on about doing this upgrade where turning it to default theme first, uninstalling all the mods and then going on about the Large upgrade, but was wondering if you can shed some light as to if this is plausible if I am not running any mods except for TP and a custom theme.

Thanks

Skhilled

Hi limitzero and welcome to Docskillz! :)

Well...I wish it was that simple. It would have save me a LOT of work on my tutorial. LOL

The thing with upgrades is sometimes the upgrade will contain only code changes, other times code and database changes. Small upgrades say from 2.0 to 2.0.1 may or may not contain any db changes. Large upgrades say from 1.1.x to 2.0 or 2.0 to 2.1 will definitely contain db changes.

So, you cannot just use the an older db with the newer files. The new mods for 2.0.2 that you try to install would not work either because of those changes as well as the many code changes that have happened. For instance, the manu menu button code is not longer in index.template.php. It is not is Subs.php.

For large SMF updates you must upload the files and run it they way I posted or your database will not get upgraded and your new themes and mods will not work. Not to mention that I seriously doubt SMF would either.

The best thing to do is create a test forum and upgrade using that. This way you will not mess up your live forum. If there are any problems you can get them sorted before doing your live forum.

limitzero

I understand, thanks for the detailed explanation. I will of course be testing things out on a dummy backup forum instead of the live one and  see how it goes, will keep you  updated and might need your help if I can't get it done

Skhilled

limitzero

Happy to report everything went well with the upgrade! Now to get those custom TP codings done again, ugh

Thanks Skhilled for your tips and suggestions

Skhilled

Great! Glad to hear it! The hard part is over now. ;)

You're welcome! :)