[RC 2.6] Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by

Started by thedukeisnotdead, November 30, 2014, 05:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedukeisnotdead

I have appx 6900 games in the database now.

If I try to add a bath for 25/100 more or just 1 I get the following error:

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

If I delete the .tat files out of the game directory the error is gone.

The error pops up when you go Admin>Games.. It wont list the installed game nor the game you have to install:

Only the error.

Thank in advance for the help.

[smf 2.09] Mysql 5.1x.. I also ran the upgrade.php on the database to try and solve any problems.

Thanks

Skhilled

I think you are trying to add too many games at once for how your server is configured.

If your hosting allows you to do this (please check their TOS before trying this they may shut you down if they do not allow you to do this), add a php.ini file to your root forum folder and try to boost these:

5.2 Increasing the Filesize Upload Limit

5.3 Increasing the PHP Memory Limit

Remember, they are examples and your hosting may use different values. You'll need to find out what the default values are by asking your hosting or trying this:

https://www.ostraining.com/blog/coding/phpini-file/

You should not violate any terms by trying that one as it just tells you what the php defaults are and you are not changing anything. If your hosting does not allow you to add php.ini files then you must ask them the temporarily change it or just upload smaller batches.

thedukeisnotdead

Quote from: Skhilled on November 30, 2014, 06:13:17 AM
I think you are trying to add too many games at once for how your server is configured.

If your hosting allows you to do this (please check their TOS before trying this they may shut you down if they do not allow you to do this), add a php.ini file to your root forum folder and try to boost these:

5.2 Increasing the Filesize Upload Limit

5.3 Increasing the PHP Memory Limit

Remember, they are examples and your hosting may use different values. You'll need to find out what the default values are by asking your hosting or trying this:

https://www.ostraining.com/blog/coding/phpini-file/

You should not violate any terms by trying that one as it just tells you what the php defaults are and you are not changing anything. If your hosting does not allow you to add php.ini files then you must ask them the temporarily change it or just upload smaller batches.
Ill try what you suggested.

Im down to trying to add 1 game at a time. But I do have 6000+ plus games. The host is verio and they are not very helpful.

Skhilled

I've used them via a user I was trying to help and they were not helpful then either. Unless you are on a VPS or Dedicated server you will not be able to upload and install a lot in batches no matter what hosting you have. Shared hosting does not allow for a lot of resources and I'd be surprised if you'd get that many games on shared hosting, if that is what you have.

thedukeisnotdead

Quote from: Skhilled on November 30, 2014, 04:37:10 PM
I've used them via a user I was trying to help and they were not helpful then either. Unless you are on a VPS or Dedicated server you will not be able to upload and install a lot in batches no matter what hosting you have. Shared hosting does not allow for a lot of resources and I'd be surprised if you'd get that many games on shared hosting, if that is what you have.

I think part of it might be that when you enter the admin area, the program checks all the files on the server as part of the file install or listing.

Its posible, the array size is too big when it reads all the installed games.

But Im sure its tied into the server settings as you mentioned. There are some sites with 20k+ games installed

Skhilled

Yes, I know a few sites with that many games on them. Most of them manually uploaded the games then installed them if they had server issues like I mentioned. I'm not sure how many you can install at one time doing it that way...