SGT 7 Essential Info

Started by Skhilled, April 19, 2013, 01:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

First, a little history on why I've got this...

I've said several times that I've had no need for a tablet. However, my work with Logo Off themes requires us to create themes, etc. that also work and look good on wireless devices. So...I decided to get a cheap one for the task. After looking at several tabs at $100 and under I've found that they were either too small or that I just could not justify spending the money for the lack of features, etc. that they had at the price range. To add to this, my Apple iPod Touch 8GB device (which I love) is great but a tad small (a whopping 4 inches!) and the newer apps are getting harder to see and swipe.

I decided to actaully go to stores where they had displays to try them out. I fell in love with this tablet but the 10 inch (and much larger) version. I was all set to buy it when I kept thinking about the price...$300 minus additional warranty and accessories. Eventually, I settled on the 7 inch model ($100 less) and figured that if it was still too small I'd just send it back and get the 10 inch. After having it for a day, it felt right in my hands and I realized the 10 inch would have been too bulky for my needs. I am satisfied with my choice...so satisified I've named her "Tabitha" or "Tabby" for short!  :cool2:

Here's some info I've found that should help with various things. First, here is what the SGT looks like and specs:

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/GT-P3113TSYXAR

I purchased mine from Amazon.com and also purchased the following accessories:

SquareTrade 3-Year Tablet Accident Protection Plan - well protected from my kids  :hah:

GreatShield Leather Premium Flip Stand Protective Folio Case - totally awesome case!!!  :dancebun:

Tech Armor Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector - again...the kids  :hah:

SanDisk 32 GB Mobile microSDHC Flash Memory Card - the tab comes with 8gb space and goes up to 32gb with a micro SD card

Apps and where to find them:

For this particular device, the default choices are the "Samsung Apps" and "Google Play Store" apps which come preinstalled. However, both seem to lack in their search function. For instance, if you type "Angry Birds" in the search you may get other apps listed before it! This is very surprising and kind of troubling for the Google Play Store...it is run by Google! On the plus side, if you register and add your device it will let you know if a particular apps you are looking at is compatible with your device or not. VERY handy and will save you a lot of trouble from downloaded a app only to find out that it does not work with your device! Yes, apps are specified to specific devices!!!

Protection:

Did you think that your PC or laptop ar the only things that can get hacked? Well, think again...protect your device with antivirus software too. All of the major companies make apps for your device. Do some research and read reviews from other users before making a choice. Me? I use Avast! on my PC so it was only natural for me to choose that for my SGT especially given the great reviews for it. AVG also has great reviews. Your choice may vary...

There are other means of protecting your device such as passwords and various apps that can lock all or certain apps of your choosing.

Backup/Restore:

If you wish to protect the personal info on your decive, BACK IT UP!!! Need I say more? I'll create a topic on the various apps for this later...

I've locked this topic as I will continue to add more info as needed. If you have questions, comments, suggestions about this topic, just make a separate one.

Skhilled

Drippler - Get the latest news about yor app, latest updates, and get a free app downloaded to your device everyday!!!

You can also get a device-specific app tailored for your device! Just search the Google Play Store for your device. For the SGT 7 just use this app:

Ultimate Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 App