SMF proxy mod locked site.

Started by shutter, August 07, 2014, 07:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aura

so agrees with beast

Skhilled is very clever and trustworthy.  The best is, he shows how to do things, so blonde things like me can learn *S* He has my trust totally.

Siggy and Mega by me

Skhilled

Skhilled

Your forum is back online!  O0

FTP still doe snot work...

shutter

Skhilled

shutter

I noticed the post count stopped working. any clue?

Skhilled

Works for me. I created an Admin category and added a Testing board with 2 posts and it shows in my profile.

shutter

Quote from: Skhilled on August 14, 2014, 08:07:22 AM
Works for me. I created an Admin category and added a Testing board with 2 posts and it shows in my profile.

Yes, I seen that, but on the active thread at the moment. I've been on post 522 for a while. the same with other posters. they haven't moved up either in numbers?

It appears if finally jumped from 522-523. maybe the heat is getting to my brain lol.

Skhilled

Or you forgot how to count? LOL

shutter

Quote from: Skhilled on August 15, 2014, 09:18:20 AM
Or you forgot how to count? LOL

LOL, good one... here is another little problem. I have spammers, and one IP I have banned through the form as well as through the cpanel. he is still getting in?

Skhilled

It may seem like the IP address are the same but they are different. Look at the last set in numbers like the ones in parantheses:

108.124.42.(83)
108.124.42.(86)

The last set are different which means a totally different address. You can easily block a range of IP addres in cPanel's IP Deny feature by using something like this:

Leaving off the last set on numbers will make it include all numbers allowed in that range. Numbers allowed are 0 - 256...so it will block all 257 numbers in that range.

If the 3rd and 4th set of numbers keep changing like:

108.124.(31.62)

108.124.(96.13)

Then use:

This will block all numbers in the 3rd and 4th positions.

Please remember that IP addresses are set for particular countries or regions. Blocking the 3rd and 4th set will block a lot of addresses from a particular country or region. So, if you'd want to block a state or area from the United States you could use:

72 - just using the first set only. There are others used in the US but that alone will block a portion of the country's ISP's.

Now to answer your question, after looking in your IP Deny, you block some IP's with "180". I believe the starting IP in question is "108". I looked at your ban list and the most IP's I saw started with "108" and "173". Look at the Ban Log and you'll start to see a connection to the numbers. ;)

You'll want to deny numbers in that range...

shutter

maybe I'm not following correctly. if I leave off part of the IP the IP manager will alert this and not allow the address to go into the file?

those are two spammers from Japan. they come in with about 5 addresses. if I take the back two numbers off (47,49) it doesn't work? it wants a full address?

P.S. sorry I couldn't chat this morning. I was on my way out the door to work  :yuck:

Skhilled

Ah! You may have to use it like one of these since some servers are configured differently:

or

150.70.173.*

EDIT: BTW, you have not listened and implemented the security mods or settings I've mentioned. This is why they keep getting back in...

shutter

I'll give it a shot. I also installed "Stop Forum Spam" don't know how it's doing yet, just installed. I don't think there is anything left setting wise? I hide emails from guests, approval on registration, and the captcha on high. I also have a longer password for my profile, and administration area.

Skhilled

You should have installed Stop Spammer and httpBL. You can use the same ap key for Stop Forum Spam for Stop Spammer. It will search the same database for known spammers but it works a bit better than Stop Forum Spam mods for SMF. For httpBL you'll need to go to projecthoneypot.org and get a key from there for it.

You can set the Verification Image to medium as some people find the hard setting a bit too hard.

And also use a Verification Question. Something not too hard but does not have an answer that is a number or way too easy.

I've made a few changes to your setting so all you have to do is get the api keys and install the 2 mods then set registration to "Email Activation" and see if it works. ;)