SMF proxy mod locked site.

Started by shutter, August 07, 2014, 07:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shutter

Hello, new guy here. I've had a proxy blocker on my forum for several months. it worked fine. the other night it locked everyone out. when you go to the forum it tells you that you are using a proxy. I can't get in to shut it down. how to I delete it through the C-Panel?

Skhilled

Hi shutter and welcome to Docskillz. :)

Where did you get the mod from so I can have a look at it? There might be a way via the database. If not, I suggest uploading new SMF files to kill the mods if there is no other way but it will kill all mos and themes and you'll have to reinstall them again.

EDIT: I did a little digging. Is this the mod in question?

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2729

If so, you should be able to edit your .htaccess file to remove the code it placed there and all should be well. Read that page under "Notes" as it tells you what to do if you have errors. If that does not work let me know and we'll try another route.

shutter

Thanks for the quick response. yes, that's the mod I put on it. I put a link below showing what the site does when you try to access it. do I go into the root files? I'm pretty novice to getting around in the cpanel.

http://www.thedbcooperforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=07bb790549bb69ca6778d83931ddeaa5;wwwRedirect

shutter

Now, I went to my .htaccess file and only found rows of IP's saying deny from (IP address) no files?

Skhilled

You will probably not see any files listed in .htaccess...only IP adresses. "Deny from" along with the IP are IP addresses that are being denied access to your site. Find yours and remove it.

If you do not know what your IP is go to this URL and it will tell you:

http://www.whatismyip.com

shutter

I'll check, but keep in mind that everyone who tries to accesss it has the same problem, or would this open the door to all?

Skhilled

You can delete all of the IP's and hopefully it will not happen again.

Skhilled

Ah! I see now.

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, but the administrator has blocked registration from proxies. Other causes of this error include using an intranet (school connections), registering on a cell phone, or using a browser that does not support compression or does not accept encoding.

It's not just proxies that are being blocked. Try disabling the mod if you can or turning it off or at least disable some of the settings.

shutter

I've only seen the file itself in the root files. can I delete the file? or does it need to be deleted in the script? I was under the impression the .htaccess file would have this for removal....

Skhilled

Do not delete it unless you cannot remove the ip's. Removing it will not harm anything but it is a useful file for blocking or allowing ip's and such from entering your site.

shutter

there must be a simple way to remove the mod thru the cpanel? I think the mod was off prior to this happening. it did it once before a week before this last episode, but it came back up. I thought it was a glitch. I would have removed the mod if I knew it would do it again.....

Skhilled

To remove a mod you must delete all of the files the mod installed and also the code it attached to your SMF files.

Again, you can delete the file if you cannot or do not know how to delete the IP's within it and see if that helps. If it doesn't help, then you'll have to manually remove the mod by doing what I said above. Otherwise, you can upload all now SMF files but that will delete all of your mods and possiblely your themes which will all have to be installed again.

shutter

Isn't the proxy blocker just that, a blocker. why would it have IP's attached to it. I believe the ones in the .htaccess file are the spammers who registered on the forum.

Skhilled

Yes, it blocks users by the IP address that they are using.

QuoteDescription
Very simple 'mod' to add some options to block proxy servers easily via your .htaccess file.

QuoteNotes
Requires: mod_rewrite to be installed and enabled for apache.

If you get any errors after installing this you didn't have mod_rewrite installed/enabled but you can simply uninstall this 'mod' by removing the following code from your .htaccess file in your web root folder

Code: [Select]

#Simple .htaccess Proxy Blocker Mod
[code here]
#Simple .htaccess Proxy Blocker Mod[/quote]

Skhilled

This is also an outdated mod and has not been updated since 2011. Personally, I never use outdated mods or at least ones that old. I may use 1 or 2 that are 1 or 2 versions behind my current smf version but no more than that.

And if you've read the suport topic you can see others have had problems with it and some users posts were never answered.

Always check the support topic for a mod before installing it to see what kind of support is given...if it is good or bad. If the support is not good, do not install it or you will have problems such as this. ;)

If you attach your file here I can have a look for you.

BTW, do you have any other mods installed?