My grandfather in the news again...

Started by Skhilled, October 16, 2015, 07:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Ken.

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Ronald

Your grand dad sure doesn't look like he is 90 years old..Love that little hair under his lip..

Steve you can probably look forward to a long life also..

Skhilled

Yes, my mom always looked very young. People used to think she was my sister. Being 5'2" didn't help much either. LOL

Yeah, I hope to live long. Taking my vitamins and saying my prayers. LOL

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on October 24, 2015, 10:54:00 AM
Yes, my mom always looked very young. People used to think she was my sister. Being 5'2" didn't help much either. LOL

Yeah, I hope to live long. Taking my vitamins and saying my prayers. LOL

My mom was about 5' she was as round and she was tall.

My dad passed at the age of 93, just 8 days before his 93 rd. birthday..

They say you can expect to live as long as your dad's family has..

My grand dad was in his 90's also when he passed..

I bet your grand dad is a book of history, I love meeting and talking with people this age. Where I live in the senior's complex, we had a lady that was turning 100 and she was as witty as they came..

Skhilled

My mom was pretty round around the time she passed away.

My grandfather has no signs of slowing down and may outlive me. LOL

My dad is 70 and still going strong but his dad passed away at the age of 93.

My grandfather is a character. LOL He also lives in a senior's apartment complex (mostly seniors, some younger) and is always driving the others to the store or doctor's appointments, etc. He also loves going places and visits family in other states often...drives himself or rides with my older cousins. Then there's his speaking engagements, newspaper interviews, he's also in the Veteran Archives in New Orleans and DC and is also in a book! All of this happened over the last 5 years. We are also trying to get him a Congressional Medal of Honor which he should have received for WWII and have a Congressman working on it.

Oh...and he and I are working on a book about him.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on October 24, 2015, 11:57:27 AM
My mom was pretty round around the time she passed away.

My grandfather has no signs of slowing down and may outlive me. LOL

My dad is 70 and still going strong but his dad passed away at the age of 93.

My grandfather is a character. LOL He also lives in a senior's apartment complex (mostly seniors, some younger) and is always driving the others to the store or doctor's appointments, etc. He also loves going places and visits family in other states often...drives himself or rides with my older cousins. Then there's his speaking engagements, newspaper interviews, he's also in the Veteran Archives in New Orleans and DC and is also in a book! All of this happened over the last 5 years. We are also trying to get him a Congressional Medal of Honor which he should have received for WWII and have a Congressman working on it.

Oh...and he and I are working on a book about him.

That's a great story, longevity must be in your family as it is in mine..

Great for your Grand dad, and I hope to see him get his Congressional Medal.. Why did he not receive it before.

I like him drive and do things for other where I live. I find it very interesting living there, I'm one of the youngsters there, being 77..

Skhilled

He didn't get any medals because he is Black, at first, except an Honorable Discharge and Medal of Good Conduct. About 10 years ago, while talking to a Congressman at a WWII speaking engagement, the Congressman said he should have received more medals. Especially, because he was blown out of a truck by a landmine and was only one of 2 that survived it out of ten men. The Congressman got him 6 medals within a month..after 60 years from his discharge!

http://calvinsummers.com/wp/medalsribbons/

Hopefully, he will get the Congressional Medal. If not, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I haven't said anything yet but you may see us both on TV if that doesn't pan out. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on October 24, 2015, 12:47:06 PM
He didn't get any medals because he is Black, at first, except an Honorable Discharge and Medal of Good Conduct. About 10 years ago, while talking to a Congressman at a WWII speaking engagement, the Congressman said he should have received more medals. Especially, because he was blown out of a truck by a landmine and was only one of 2 that survived it out of ten men. The Congressman got him 6 medals within a month..after 60 years from his discharge!

http://calvinsummers.com/wp/medalsribbons/

Hopefully, he will get the Congressional Medal. If not, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. I haven't said anything yet but you may see us both on TV if that doesn't pan out. ;)

Totally unfair..

I like the Blog or his Page..

What station will you be on, if it comes to this.. I don't think it will come to this.. They should have given it to him years ago..Tell the Congressman to haul his butt, you want it now!

Start up a petition, I'll sign it..

Skhilled

Thanks! Yes, it is unfair but that is how America has always been and continues until this day.

Yes, I've already considered a petition as well. I am currently learning how to set up one for my nephew's inmate group:

http://secondcq.org

As soon as I choose a petition site and learn the best ways to promote it I'll begin the process.

Not sure what station it will be on yet...haven't gotten that far. Am waiting to see how things go with the Congressman first. ;)

But I may still do it anyways...for good measure. LOL

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on October 24, 2015, 01:30:21 PM
Thanks! Yes, it is unfair but that is how America has always been and continues until this day.

Yes, I've already considered a petition as well. I am currently learning how to set up one for my nephew's inmate group:

http://secondcq.org

As soon as I choose a petition site and learn the best ways to promote it I'll begin the process.

Not sure what station it will be on yet...haven't gotten that far. Am waiting to see how things go with the Congressman first. ;)

But I may still do it anyways...for good measure. LOL

I hear ya on this..to much of it happening..

Try this site for a petition:  https://www.change.org/

Skhilled

Was looking at that site and a few others to find which is best and that one seems to be the best so far. A lot of them used to have API coding to allow you to register signings from your site. However, most of them have done away with that for one reason or another and you must use direct links to their site for signings.

Skhilled

At 91, he's still making headlines and traveling around giving speeches. Here's a clip from today's paper.

http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/world-war-ii-weekend-draws-veterans-families-and-enthusiasts#.V1NKC74zbSY

We had a great day today at the WWII Weekend Event in Reading!

Ronald

Can 't read the articlr, because I need to buy a subscription first. Can't find the story anywhere else neither..

He looks in excellent shape for being 91 years of age..You must be as proud as a peacock of your gramps.

Skhilled

Yup, sure am proud of him. And yes, he does look a lot younger than 91! It's in the genes. When I was a teen everyone thought my Mother was my sister. It didn't help that she was only 5'2". LOL

Even now, I'm 54 and women in their 30's hit on my thinking I'm much younger.  O0