Computer lets go

Started by Ronald, November 09, 2015, 05:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Darn it I had a pretty good Dell computer, been acting funny the last few days..

Start up and go into saver mode.. shut down reboot nothing..hold finger on start nothing.. let it sit for half hour, boot it up comes on most of the way tells me my screen resolution is wrong shuts down..

How can the screen change if I didn't change it..Now I can't get that far to change it..

You guys got any ideas, maybe the power pack..?

Ron..

Chen Zhen

Does the computer shut down or just the monitor?

Ronald

Quote from: Underdog on November 09, 2015, 06:10:19 PM

Does the computer shut down or just the monitor?

Monitor goes black and the computer does nothing, no humming either..the one on/off button stays lit and the bottom active button goes out..

When I do get it going after numerous tries, I can not hear any fans running neither..

Chen Zhen

Is this a laptop or desktop?
You can get into resolution settings via the setup menu usually using ESC or F2 (repeatedly) at power up.
Using the arrow keys & enter should allow you to browse for some sort of screen settings.
It could be the power pack but perhaps try and eliminate other posibilities first.
Is it overheting perhaps? Have you attempted to carefully clean out any dust and use it after it has been shut down for a while to cool?

Ronald

Quote from: Underdog on November 09, 2015, 06:23:58 PM

Is this a laptop or desktop?
You can get into resolution settings via the setup menu usually using ESC or F2 (repeatedly) at power up.
Using the arrow keys & enter should allow you to browse for some sort of screen settings.
It could be the power pack but perhaps try and eliminate other posibilities first.
Is it overheating perhaps? Have you attempted to carefully clean out any dust and use it after it has been shut down for a while to cool?

I had it in safe mode and could not do anything with it..

Never tried F2..no never cleaned it.

This Dell is an Inspiron desktop, tall and narrow case..

Friend of mine bought this from Dell, and her son used it and tried to reinstall the same O/S for himself on this computer.. It didn't work and he messed it up.. I took it from her and removed the entire O/S and reinstalled a fresh install and got it working like it was a new machine..

She had it at her house, but had no Internet connection, so it sat there for probably a year, until her mom took it and I was the one who hooked it up for the mom.. Within a year the mom passed away, and hardly used the machine.. Again Debbi took it home and it sat in the closet for maybe another year..

About three maybe four months ago I asked her if I could have the machine.. She sold it to me cheaply.. I took it and set it up as it was and used it almost daily, until just this week when it started acting up..

Right now I have it shelved.. But I can re-hook it to the router and have another look at it, but first I'll look inside for loose connections and fuzz bunnies.. It's an old machine now probably 4 years old maybe 5 but the thing is hardly used..and runs good when running..

I'll get back to you probably tomorrow night with what is going on..

And by the way thanks for the help..

Skhilled

You shouldn't run it in safe mode unless you are trying to get rid of viruses, etc. because some things will not work when using it.

Turn it on and as soon as it beeps press the F8 function key repeatedly and you should see a text menu. Choose normal and see if that helps. If it does more than one beep then it is trying to tell you what is wrong.

You didn't say which Dell it was but this should help if you get more than one beep or beeps longer than usual.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN293445/EN

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on November 10, 2015, 08:55:09 AM
You shouldn't run it in safe mode unless you are trying to get rid of viruses, etc. because some things will not work when using it.

Turn it on and as soon as it beeps press the F8 function key repeatedly and you should see a text menu. Choose normal and see if that helps. If it does more than one beep then it is trying to tell you what is wrong.

You didn't say which Dell it was but this should help if you get more than one beep or beeps longer than usual.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN293445/EN

Thanks Steve, I'll check this out after cleaning. I'll boot and listen..

Skhilled

Ronald

Well I laid it out took the side cover off, and cleaned the insides, not too bad at all, actually pretty clean..

Installed everything, and turned on, heard "no beeps", did hear one little clunk, but the only thing that did happen was the monitor screen says going into saver mode..

I tried rebooting numerous times same thing every time..reboot press the F buttons still nothing.

I would hold the start button and it would not start, yet when I took my finger off, a couple seconds later it would start, but no monitor screem, just black..

Chen Zhen

What do you mean installed everything?
Are you attempting to install a fresh operating system?

Ronald

Quote from: Underdog on November 10, 2015, 06:56:52 PM

What do you mean installed everything?
Are you attempting to install a fresh operating system?

No what I mean was I put all back together.. I had removed this computer when it started failing me. I installed a different computer to use..

I just hooked the monitor back up as well as the speakers and the wireless keyboard, that's all..

I have done some reading on dell support and I see others talking about the same thing and they say take the ram out, rub the copper part with a rubber band then install the ram again and it should work..

I have all the disc's for this machine, including a repair disc I made when I got this machine..

Today when trying to start the machine and nothing really happened, the start button light stayed solid no flashing at all, I also heard no beeps..

Skhilled

Just be careful when taking the ram out and putting it back in...you don't want to damage it.

Chen Zhen

The memory not being inserted properly can definately cause the issues you have described.
I suggest pulling the memory sticks out (with the power disconnected) and reinstering them but make absolutely sure they are inserted fully.
The two locks on either side of each mem stick should insert their tabs into the small notches on the sides of those memory sticks as you push downward.