Installing Linux on Windows 8

Started by Skhilled, April 06, 2015, 08:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chen Zhen

Skhilled,

I'm not sure I understand the exact set up you are attempting to accomplish.
You want to have it dual boot two OS's (Ubuntu & Windows)?
ref. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

I have done this before, you just need to adjust the boot menu to allow that.
Just thought I'd mention that if you had Windows 7 or 8 on your older computer and you wanted to install it on the new one it is possible using the same Windows key code as long as you only use it on 1 computer. However it involves getting a raw copy of Windows & the necessary drivers for your motherboard & hardware.  Then it takes a few days for it to update, roboot, update, reboot, etc. to have it current. The last time I did this I had to key in the Microsoft code twice (once during install and once after updating) but it worked like a charm.
Just remember, the Windows key code entitles you to use that single version copy of Windows on 1 computer. As long as it is only installed on 1 computer then it should be flagged as legitimate.

As for your dvd drive not working properly, perhaps you have an incorrect driver or an out of date one for the specific device.
I will send you a PM regarding burning software.

Regards.

Maxx

@ Ken and Doc, Gonna install on my other PC 32bit, because drivers are hard to find on the 64 bit, I have it burnt to the CD, gonna do a full install on partition, of that HDD.

Gonna do it in the morning.

Steve I hope you better luck with the DVD, I burnt my on the Win system tool, I first did a quick format for the, But I unzipped to a folder, then used the windows burn to CD or burn CD, worked great!

But I'll will start from windows so I can check out before install!

regards,
Maxx

Ken.

News Flash!!!  :hah:

Well... not really.
I subscribe to the Windows Secrets newsletter and as it happens the lead article in today's edition is about Linux on a Windows PC. 

An introduction to Linux for Windows users

Here is their article on Ubuntu:
http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/linux-for-windows-users-installing-ubuntu/
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Maxx

Ken thanks for info, I'm gonna try to install along side windows the Ubuntu... get some sort error on win 7 and 8.1, permission, try installing demo vis open as admin also!

I'm gonna visit the link you provided, maybe says why! :)
I follow the Ubuntu instructions

Regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

@Underdog - You may be right about the drivers because from what I've been reading when I bought it you just needed Windows drivers. But today I did a more thorough search and found out that although it says "Samsung" it is actually a "TSST". That is a brand which is a joint venture between Samsung and Toshiba. That is their OEM brand used for PC/laptop installations. It is a tad hard to get the drivers and the only way I've found so far is to use "DriverDownloader.exe" which avast! says is infected... Will have to do more research.

@Ken - LOL! I remember Windows Secrets and used to get their newsletters years ago! I've totally forgotten about them!

@all - I'm on Ubuntu right now! Yesterday I downloaded it and tried to install it but had problems. Last night as I was getting ready for work I saw a DVD from Linux Format Magazine, which I've been buying regularly for years now even when I'm not using linux, which contained Ubuntu 14.04 LTS! I've downloaded it yesterday for nothing!  :rofl1:

I just loaded it and checked to see if my net was working so I came here. I didn't even get a chance to look around yet. LOL

Anyhow, I installed it with no problems. Then added the partition to EasyBCD and rebooted...it worked!  :happy: But you must disable SecureBoot UEFI first in your BIOS!

Kris

Ubuntu Rocks. Been running a dual boot system for a while now. Have also tried Slackware and Redhat but Ubuntu is great for ease of use. I'd recommend it for anyone.

BTW I am running 14.04 LTS

Cheers,

Skhilled

Haven't used Slackware or Redhat in ages. Been using Ubuntu for years off and on. Had Linux Mint installed last.

Maxx

Yes I agree used most all of them and Ubuntu is best in my book :)

And Kris Knows I've been testing it for a long time now off and on! And we both worked and V bulletin board for few years together.

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

Got the wireless printer working...wirelessly. :) But got a TON of updates. LOL

parez

Huh! You guys make me to miss Ubuntu. Do you know that I can install Ubuntu on macbook pro? Not the virtual machine way...
I managed to install Ubuntu on my mbp early 2011 a few hours ago. I had a few problems, but google saved me. Now I started to develop a website to convert inches in digital measurements. Until now it's working pretty good, I will let you know about my experience after a few days of testing it.

Skhilled

Hi parez and welcome to Docskillz! ;D

I have not used a Mac in many years but do remember there used to be a bootloader that allowed you to run multiple OS' at once. But I don't remember the name of it. Give me a sec and I'll look it up...

EDIT: Here's 2 articles that pretty much say the same thing:

http://www.howtogeek.com/187410/how-to-install-and-dual-boot-linux-on-a-mac/

http://lifehacker.com/5934942/how-to-dual-boot-linux-on-your-mac-and-take-back-your-powerhouse-apple-hardware

Maxx

Good Call... on the move..

I would like recommend any one tired of vista, and or with an older model PC or laptop to Go..Ubuntu, if possible. I will run much faster less infections and uses less system resources. It will work much like the windows and some  Win apps like mentioned will run wine.

But please note: read up some before you do it and back all your stuff of importance!
If you have enough HDD space to dual boot until you get use to it, and decide, if it's right for you!

Some just through out the old laptop or PC, when it can be Linux and recycled to someone in the family or yourself.
a backup computer if you will?

I found that the Ubuntu is the most reliable OS of that sort!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

...and you can try a "LiveCD" which allows you to use it without installing it to see if you like it or not. ;)

I will make a post later about the pros and cons of linux and sticky it. I'm no guru but know a bit about it.

Right now I'm making a breakfast burrito with shaved steak (think Philly cheese steak sandwiches), onions, sweet red peppers, and mozzarella cheese in a tortilla.

Zacharia

.... now you got me eating my supper 8 hrs early  8)

Skhilled

LOL! For some of my recipes go here:

http://www.braisedbutt.com/cook/portal.php - in "The Kitchen" board...