Site Updates

Started by Skhilled, January 28, 2012, 07:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Quote from: Skhilled on November 25, 2017, 06:21:26 AM
Not that I've heard or am aware of. Sad, it's pretty good software...

Last I've read, the admins seem to be MIA for one reason or another. Since there has been no word from any of them, it looks like a lost cause.

Does seem strange if it's just stopped out of the blue like that with no announcement, there must be a valid reason for the absence.  Perhaps they had a team meltdown or something, but either way if it is ceasing I'd have thought one of the team would say something somewhere.  At the moment as there's nothing official, anything said can be pure speculation at this point.

Skhilled

True... The last I've heard they had issues trying to convert to HTTPS. The site went down shortly after that and was up for a while. Then it mysteriously went down again and never can back again.

Ronald

I still use it, and it seems to be running OK.

Now I version I heard was SP forum got itself hacked, nd destroyed..Then I also heard, who ever maintains the site, had no backup to rely on..

It may be down, but I just checked the mod. list and SP has a new upgrade to 2.3.7

Was also modified back in August 2017.  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1104

Why do they let things go like this.. I know SMF is hanging on by a thread I think, look how long we have wait for the 2.0 and it's still in beta for how many years now..I know a lot of the good Staff they had all packed it in and left..

lurkalot

Quote from: Oldcrow on November 25, 2017, 10:04:12 AM
I still use it, and it seems to be running OK.

Now I version I heard was SP forum got itself hacked, nd destroyed..Then I also heard, who ever maintains the site, had no backup to rely on..

It may be down, but I just checked the mod. list and SP has a new upgrade to 2.3.7

Was also modified back in August 2017.  http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1104

Why do they let things go like this.. I know SMF is hanging on by a thread I think, look how long we have wait for the 2.0 and it's still in beta for how many years now..I know a lot of the good Staff they had all packed it in and left..

They did get hacked a while back, I remember they announced it on their site. (only).  Not sure if they got hacked again after the site was put back up though. This was 17 June 2016, and it's been up for a good few months after. 

Not sure if the hackers got hold of any of the users details from the database they tried to steal.

(Quote from the announcement.)
The hacker attempted to download our database, but as of yet we are not certain that it was successful. Regardless, it's possible that your usernames, emails and hashed passwords have been retrieved by the attacker.

Ronald

Awhile back when they were still up, I made numerous attempts to sign in, never did get back in..

It's a shame the way we handle our forums.. I also have a older style of IPB, because of the Arcade, https://ronaldsarcade.com/ which Legionnaire took it over and keeps it updated.. The original owner, Originally created by Chris Kelly (sykoect) passed away last year, never had the Arcade, ready to pass on to anyone else, the forum domain ran out, we had no way of any knowledge of it, so it just went down. Not one person that knew him had any info..

But Legionnaire was one of the coders and keep it update and now we use his forum for downloads and updates..

The arcade has to run on the older version of IPB, it has never been upgraded to the newer IPB forum..to large a database to start over with..

My domains and forums, I have one person, that has my info. and can continue on with the boards..

Skhilled

That's pretty much what happened to Maxx's forum. Scrubmeister had to wait for the domain to be up for grabs via an auction and bid on it and got it. The other domain he just waited it out until he got it again.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on November 25, 2017, 12:06:26 PM
That's pretty much what happened to Maxx's forum. Scrubmeister had to wait for the domain to be up for grabs via an auction and bid on it and got it. The other domain he just waited it out until he got it again.

Yea and they don't come cheap..They buy them up when they expire and rip you off when you want to buy it..

Skhilled

Yup, he had to pay $80 for it, I think. Some cost way more than that. When I gave up skhilled.com it was going for a few thousand. I waited it out for a few years and got it back at a normal price.

Skhilled

I've been alerted by EyeCu that the files in the "Special Downloads" category of the Downloads were not working. So, I've begun uploading/fixing them. This will take awhile due to the size of them...300MB+.

v3arcade_part1.zip - uploaded and ready. I'll post more when the other 2 are fixed. Btw, there is a v3arcade_part3.zip that I've never uploaded and will be within the next day or two. ;)

Skhilled

Sorry, been busy and my hosting was down for a few hours yesterday due to an outage at the datacenter. It still seems pretty sluggish. Also, my internet has been a tad slow the past two days. :P

Skhilled

Now I know why my net was slow...Windows Fall Creators Update. :P

v3arcade_part3.zip is uploading now...

EDIT: Done! Part 3 is a collection that I've had for many years and just adding to the downloads! May include some Adult games - 136 MB.

Chen Zhen

Quote from: lurkalot on November 25, 2017, 10:31:33 AM
They did get hacked a while back, I remember they announced it on their site. (only).  Not sure if they got hacked again after the site was put back up though. This was 17 June 2016, and it's been up for a good few months after. 

The current down time has nothing to do with hacking and the recent loss of data was due to a mistake that I made.
Approx. 5 weeks of posts and perhaps 25 files or so were lost (this is just a rough estimate).

The SP site will be back in the near future.
When the site is ready, one of the staff will likely make an announcement in the SMF Simple Portal thread.

The team is very glad to hear so many from the SMF community wanting the site back & we appreciate such a loyal user base.

Regards.

Skhilled

Good to hear. Thanks for the update. :)

Ronald

Quote from: Underdog on December 01, 2017, 08:44:03 PM

The current down time has nothing to do with hacking and the recent loss of data was due to a mistake that I made.
Approx. 5 weeks of posts and perhaps 25 files or so were lost (this is just a rough estimate).

When the site is ready, one of the staff will likely make an announcement in the SMF Simple Portal thread.

The team is very glad to hear so many from the SMF community wanting the site back & we appreciate such a loyal user base.

Regards.

Thanks underdog, I appreciate your response. I miss SP, been using it for many years..Just installed the latest version 2.3.7

lurkalot

Quote from: Underdog on December 01, 2017, 08:44:03 PM

Regards.

That's good news, it would be sad to see the loss of another great portal mod.  Regarding the hacking thing, that was just a response to Oldcrow's post, not a suggestion that it was hacked again.  Apologies if it came across that way. ;)