Contact Form

Started by Ronald, August 27, 2015, 09:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

I have a Contact Form installed as a page, but trouble is the mail goes through another party..

I see other Contact Forms but they involved more than I am use to doing..

Some call for making file and adding content like html or php along with a css..

When it comes to codes and ftp's I get nervous, I know make a backup, trouble is I have made backups, but have never installed a backup..

Can anyone explain in simple terms how to install a good Contact Form..

Thanks Ron..

Skhilled

Which Contact Form are you using?

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on August 27, 2015, 09:19:31 AM
Which Contact Form are you using?

Using this one http://www.snaphost.com/captcha/ReadyForms/ContactUsForm.aspx#  but problem is it goes through snaphost first..if I remove there info. I get errors..

This is what it looks like..  http://www.seniorsworldwide.net/index.php?page=page2576

I would like to have one that goes through me or my server..

Skhilled

Ah! I see. Personally, I'd prefer one that doesn't go through another server too. Actually, it's the ".aspx" that would worry me. .asp/.aspx is for Windows servers. Most people like us use linux servers. So, sooner or later there may be conflicts.

I haven't used one here before but have installed a few on other people's servers...but that was a few years ago. I have no idea of any current ones. If SMF does not have any I suggest Googling "php contact form" and find one that has good reviews. I'll help you test it.

Sadly, SMF have very little good and up-to-date mods anymore...

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on August 27, 2015, 09:37:17 AM
Ah! I see. Personally, I'd prefer one that doesn't go through another server too. Actually, it's the ".aspx" that would worry me. .asp/.aspx is for Windows servers. Most people like us use linux servers. So, sooner or later there may be conflicts.

I haven't used one here before but have installed a few on other people's servers...but that was a few years ago. I have no idea of any current ones. If SMF does not have any I suggest Googling "php contact form" and find one that has good reviews. I'll help you test it.

Sadly, SMF have very little good and up-to-date mods anymore...

SMF has one Contact Form and it's lousy nothing to it..

There are lots around, but I get confusing where to install the different codes..also I make some changes to suit myself..

I think the modders are waiting for the new beta to become a real forum..

Skhilled

Using one that is not specifically for SMF, can be confusing and can also not work as expected and may need some coding changes. But since SMF doen't have a good one nor an up-to-date one...the PHP ones are your best choice, atm.

Yes, some are waiting for SMF 2.0 but who knows when that will be. Or will it work well and if the modders will actually make mods for it that you will want to use. :P

The future of SMF seems pretty bleak to me. I only keep this site open to help you guys.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on August 27, 2015, 09:52:34 AM
Using one that is not specifically for SMF, can be confusing and can also not work as expected and may need some coding changes. But since SMF doen't have a good one nor an up-to-date one...the PHP ones are your best choice, atm.

Yes, some are waiting for SMF 2.0 but who knows when that will be. Or will it work well and if the modders will actually make mods for it that you will want to use. :P

The future of SMF seems pretty bleak to me. I only keep this site open to help you guys.

I have one beta running, not active though..

I think smf will be around for sometime to come..

Skhilled

You mean the SMF beta or a beta of a Contact Form? Who knows when SMF 2.0 will come out of beta...

I agree, SMF will be around for some time but it will take a lot of time for it to get back to how it used to be...if it ever does.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on August 27, 2015, 10:40:35 AM
You mean the SMF beta or a beta of a Contact Form? Who knows when SMF 2.0 will come out of beta...

I agree, SMF will be around for some time but it will take a lot of time for it to get back to how it used to be...if it ever does.

I have a beta forum like everyone else has.. I try to install some mod.'s some work some don't..

SMF has a Contact Form but what I wanted is one that makes it so you have to add your name and you have to add your email address and have too add this and that..

The one smf have right now you can spam with it..

I could use it, if I could redo parts.but I am not a codder and rely on using other codes to add..to get what I want..

Here is a pretty good contact form http://myphpform.com/final-form.php   it can be redone, but I need to add files that are needed, and this is where I get myself confused..not be use to doing this kind of stuff..

Skhilled

Hmmm, the problem with this is that it does not say where to upload those forms...I assume to your root folder where your forum is. You would just need to change the info: email, etc. to your info and it should work.

You would also need to add a link to contact.php somewhere on your forum so users can use it. The only issue I see with it is that there are no links to redirect a user back to your forum once they complete the contact form. That would require a bit of trial and error to get it in the right spot but shouldn't be hard to do.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on August 27, 2015, 10:59:35 AM
Hmmm, the problem with this is that it does not say where to upload those forms...I assume to your root folder where your forum is. You would just need to change the info: email, etc. to your info and it should work.

You would also need to add a link to contact.php somewhere on your forum so users can use it. The only issue I see with it is that there are no links to redirect a user back to your forum once they complete the contact form. That would require a bit of trial and error to get it in the right spot but shouldn't be hard to do.

Al the other stuff are to be recoded in..

I have looked at the smf contact form and it can be easy enough to recode..maybe I'll look further into it..

Maxx

I use this:
Contact Page

works great and uses the forum admin email, it also requires guest to verified before submit.

Sorry I was working with the boostrap coding trying incorporate it into SMF themes, What a job!

you can check it inm action at buildandtell.com  on menu "contact"

regards,
Maxx

Ronald

Quote from: Maxx on August 27, 2015, 07:02:40 PM
I use this:
Contact Page

works great and uses the forum admin email, it also requires guest to verified before submit.

Sorry I was working with the boostrap coding trying incorporate it into SMF themes, What a job!

you can check it inm action at buildandtell.com  on menu "contact"

regards,
Maxx

Maxx I installed that one a few days ago, didn't have any recaptcha with it..

Maxx

It works with mine but only on guess you will not see it  as admin ! JIC

Maxx

BTW it works if you have the recaptcha in you SMF system!:)

regards,
Maxx