Getting Started

Started by Kris, April 25, 2012, 05:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

Thought I may as well try to get my forum started. As Skhilled knows I have a forum currently with a free host. My forum also currently uses EZPortal.  What I am doing is starting a new forum from scratch that will incorporate some of the things I currently have with some additional things. With a free host I simply signed up and they had it all set up for me.

Heres what I have done:
1. Downloaded both SMF 2 and TP to my external hard drive.

Question
Can I install SMF with TP on the HD to start my forum from there or do I need a host and be able to upload via ftp first? If I can install and set everything up to the HD is there anything I need and what is the first thing I should be doing? I'll partition the HD so I have a 200GB or so to work with.

Thanks in advance,
Kris

beast

Hi Kris. You will have to let Skhilled answer that one. I've never heard of that one. But! I don't know squat any way  :rofl1:

:happy: :hah:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

Well, you can do it both ways. However, to run your website from your hard drive will involve a few things. First, you'll need server software such as WAMP. It has apache, mysql and php just like a hosting company does. But you won't be able to use a .com with it. You will have to use your personal IP address instead. This means that you will have to give out your personal IP to everyone you want to view your website. For security reasons, that is not a good idea. You should never give out your personal IP.

Then there's the issues of learning how to use apache, php and mysql as well as setting up mail and databases. WAMP makes it easy but there will be times when you will need to change the settings and know what you are doing or no one will be able to see the site. WAMP is basically good for local testing and not for live websites unless you really know what you are doing.

WAMP is for Windows only. If you use linux then you'll already have apache, php, and mysql and a lot more. But there is still that little thing about learning it all first.

The best thing to do is get good hosting. You can do a lot more than your free hosting will let you PLUS everything is already configured for you. You can then focus on your website instead of the server side of things. Most free hosting will not even let you backup your database without paying for it. The database holds all of the info in it...pm's, posts, users, topics, etc. This is where all of your hard work is.

The files don't matter much because they can be recreated easily. But you can't recreate months or years of posts, pm's, user info, etc.

A lot of people start on free hosting only to find that the site they've created is useless to them because they are not allowed to backup the database or it is expensive to do so. With paid hosting you can back everything you wish for free. And if it is not free then you should find other hosting.

Kris

Thanks Skhilled,

I guess I'll start looking for a good host. Any suggestions?  My initial idea for the hard drive was only to put everything together first but it sounds like finding a host would be a much easier option.

Kris

Skhilled

Well, you can always use your hard drive to store backups as well as keeping an organized area for keeping single file backups and images, etc. For instance, when you need to edit a file you really don't have to backup the entire server, if that is the only file you are backing up. Just back up that one file. ;)

Your organized space of your hd should be similar to the directories on your server. It will make things much easier to remember and to find things.

Dating your backups is a great way of letting you know when you've saved things.

For hosting try these:

www.hothostinginc.com is good.

My hosting is:

http://www.asmallorange.com/

Skhilled

I just remembered, when choosing your hosting please make sure they have cPanel. It will make things easier for you. ;)

Kris

Thanks Skhilled,

Have to put this on hold for a short period. Made a post at the family gathering that will help you understand why.

Kris

Skhilled

Take all of the time you need. I'll be here when you're ready.

Skhilled

I forgot to mention that you can also get your domain name (.com) from either of those hosting as well.