Alienware Steam Machine

Started by Skhilled, July 19, 2015, 04:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

Alienware, one of the top PC makers, will be coming out with a Steam based gaming console in November. You can get a review and the details here:

http://www.cnet.com/products/alienware-steam-machine-2015/

The problem for me is it costs over $400 but you can download Steam to your Windows or linux based PC for free and do the same thing. Keep in mind they are saying it should be powerful enough to run Witcher 3 which needs a LOT of resources...but with an Intel Core I3 processor only 4GB RAM??? That's the cheapest and least powerful of the Intel line! Witcher 3 specs call for a Core I5 processor and 6GB RAM minimum!!! You can upgrade to a Core I5 or I7 for an extra $100 and $200, respectively. That will drive the cost up to $549 - $749. For those prices you can buy a new PC or laptop and do a lot more with it.

I'll wait for the release to pass final judgement. But for my money, I can download Steam for free (which I've been doing for years) and use my Xbox 360 controller ($30)...you do the math.  :Zipit:

Ken.

So this is Alienware's version of an XBOX/PS III?
For the money they want it sure looks a lot more attractive to buy the XBOX/PS III... or 4 or 5 or whatever PS is up to these days.  :cool2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Yes, it is cheaper but is basically a PC that only plays Steam games and PC-based games that run through the Steam engine. This is what many people are already doing with their PC's. I can see if you don't have a PC or laptop...maybe. Unless you can do more with it like run regular Windows-based software on it then it may be useful. Maybe there's more in the specs or will be revealed later...

Ken.

Some of my old PC games used Steam... worked OK as I recall, but required that you jump through a few hoops.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Actually, a lot of PC games now work very well with Steam. Even many Windows games can be played in Linux through Steam for Linux without any problems. ;)