Main Menu

????

Started by beast, September 29, 2015, 10:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beast

What is the diff from spam, spiders, yahoo and all the others?

:taz:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

Spiders are automated bots (programmed code) to crawls the web for information. All search engines have them. But others can use them too. The biggest difference is if they are good or bad.

Good bots are mostly the search engines like Yahoo, Google, etc. But people can program bots to appear like the good bots which are really bad ones. Bad ones will spam your site but they will not always appear as a search engine. Some will appear to be a regular user, some will appear to be a search engine.

If you follow the other post about blocking them using .htaccess and they do not listen to the instructions then you will definitely know they are bad bots. Bad bots will also try to spam you. You can usually tell because the information they provide in their profile make not sense or they will contain a like to a site that has nothing to do with yours, like a smf site will not be in their links. Bots may also try to create multiple accounts using the same IP Address or the same email address.

Every time someone registers at my site I check to see if they have created multiple accounts...multiple accounts are not allowed here you must specifically request them. Bots will not ask for them because they will not respond like humans. ;)

beast

I thank you very much. I still run the blocker that you installed and it works wonderful. I have to reject a bucket full ever morning lol

:taz:
Thanks [you] for reading my post

Skhilled

Yes, they are pretty busy now. I've been seeing a ton of them on various sites lately for some reason. As long as they don't get in, it's all good. ;D

Skhilled

I know why they are so busy...the SMF update. There was an exploit found and they are trying to gain access to sites now.