Shared hosting for SMF

Started by Tonymura, March 14, 2015, 03:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonymura

Hi all
This seems like a good place to start, to ask this question as I am after some recommendations for shared hosting.
I would think this has been asked a thousand times before.
But, I just wanted to know what is a good shared hosting for SMF?
Thanks
Tony

Skhilled

Hi Tonymura and welcome to Docskillz!

I may be just a bit biased (LOL) but my hosting is very good and I have had very little problems with it.

http://asmallorange.com

It also works well with other software such as phpBB, vBulletin, WP and many others. I do a lot of software testing and have tested many of them on this server without any problems.

I'm sure other users here will give you other suggestions. You will have problems with any hosting from time to time but how quickly they respond and how well they handle problems is what makes the difference in good or bad hosting.

Tonymura

Hi again
To tell you the truth that's why i joined here today, i was recommended by Chen Zhen to ask this question right here with regards to hosting in your forum.
He did say that your site is worth looking into.
I just checked your site out right now and i must say your website looks absolutely fantastic.
Very stylish and simple and your website name its very imaginative i must say.
I really like your moto, "You only pay for what you use"
Thats good business thinking.
My reason for shopping around is because my hosting will soon expire in 2 weeks time. I am with Godaddy and as you know they are over priced and also they are not the best when it comes to hosting SMF.
So your site looks interesting so far.
No promise though and i will need to ask a few more question here and there.
Not sure if here is the best place to ask away or should i open a ticket in the support area on your website.
Please let me know what i need to do from here on.
Thanks
Tony 8)

Skhilled

Chen Zhen is known as Underdog here....same person. ;) And thanks for the comments.  :happy:

How a site looks depends on how the person who owns it chooses to design it. That has nothing to do with hosting or how well their hosting works...mostly. Unless they are not able to make the changes they want because their hosting restricts them in some way.

2 weeks in not much time to make a decision. Godaddy is great for hosting your domain names. I've used them for that for 10-12 years without a problem. However, their hosting is truly horrible! I've helped a lot of users who use it and it is not user-friendly and their support is even worse! Domain names do not need much (if any) support but hosting requires a lot of hands-on work especially if the servers do not have adequate hardware/resources and/or they do not have enough staff personnel to keep up with the demand of their users to fix the problems their users are having.

I do not have a ticket system installed here, as one is not needed. So, any questions you have just posted them in the appropriate board and I will do my best to answer them or direct you to other users or sites that can help you. :)

Tonymura

I was just commenting on the website that it looked good.

I am quiet aware the site has nothing to do with SMF, who ever designed it has done a great job thats all.

With my forum its still not fully operational so if i loose a few things i am not really concerned.

I will make a backup and a copy before it gets terminated.

On a different note, is there a board here that offers paid support?

Skhilled

LOL, sorry for the confusion. I was trying to do too many things at once again.  :juggle:

I do not offer paid support but have done paid work helping people with certain things. What do you need help with? You can PM me if you do not wish to make it public. :)

Tonymura

Oh sorry i worded it incorrectly, what i meant was there a board here for paid work
Just wondering if i get stuck on a CSS issue i would be more than happy to pay for the service.

Skhilled

That is what I thought you meant. :)

If it is not a major task I do not charge to help. ;) Please keep in mind I'm no coder but still may be able to help.

Tonymura

OK i will ask you if i have my design at hand  that i want, but i would say this will be a bit involved.
Also i noticed that this forum is some sort of a gaming site.
Interesting.

Skhilled

I used to be head admin of SMF Arcade which is the creator dropped. This site was also a backup site for the arcade site in case it went down for some reason like hacking, hosting issues, etc. People could still come here and get the files, games an support until the real site was back online.

So, A few of us still try to keep it going for as long as we can since many people still want it. I'm not sure how long we can keep it going but we try. :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Battle mod is maintained by Underdog and is separate from the arcade.