Forum Width or wrapper Size!

Started by Maxx, October 19, 2014, 03:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxx

OK as a rule of thumb,

I set my

wrapper at max-width: 90%; ( this can be 80% or what's needed, but pixels, I don't recommend)

( you can do 95), but 90 is good number when using a portal> and

margin: 0 auto;

and

min-width: 390px; around

so when you shrink the browser's width it will shrink to most tablet sizes ( no promises, but it better that fixed.

NOW the reason I do not set in pixels is it will show up good in many size monitors and there settings.

Now there are many things in the Template and CSS that may effect the width response!, but this is the basic rule for me.

Please note that if you theme is a fixed width type theme that usually means it has images that will not re-size with the changes in with or wrapper, so best leave them alone.

Now days we are using a lot of CSS and CSS3 as well as HTML to make sites more responsive and even that is, as hard to do.. is be out dated by mobile detection plugs and add-ons and mods.

SMF at this point is close to impossible to do totally response, for may reason I may get in later, can't see the point at this time!

I work at Ezportal, but all of them are Good in their own way, but the ezPortal we have a mobile detect setup to shut off the portal, when it detects a mobile device, so that's a big step forward on this issue, it also tune off the side panels when in the admin section, and both are admin control able, plus other stuff we are working on!

One of the most important area to learn in theme make is the index.css, or coming up with your own style ( this requires php edits though) but you change the complete looks of the site by editing the CSS. the Layout is after you learn the CSS thing!

That's it for now.

Background are tricky and I'll need time to come with a plan of action, there are many ways to work them>> soon!

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled