I gave up on SMF

Started by Ronald, April 02, 2016, 01:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

With SMF going no where fast, I have given up on them.. How can a new beta be in test for almost two years, when the others are coming out with new forum once or twice a year..

I always held a IPB License so I had a conversion done and it went off good..So now using IPB

Don't get me wrong I love the SMF, just to much inter fighting and the good people leaving..and just taking way to long to get the new template out..

Skhilled

I hear ya! I've been considering the same thing for the past 2 years myself. Helping people at this site is the only thing that keeps me tied to it.

I remember you telling me a few years ago about the IBP license. Good luck with it, Ron! :)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on April 02, 2016, 07:26:18 PM
I hear ya! I've been considering the same thing for the past 2 years myself. Helping people at this site is the only thing that keeps me tied to it.

I remember you telling me a few years ago about the IBP license. Good luck with it, Ron! :)

So far so good.. One thing, the mod's and skins are not free..well some are, they do have dedicated people who don't believe in charging..

Get yourself a Demo and give a lokk over for a few days..

Ron..

Skhilled

I haven't played with a demo of it in ages cause for awhile they didn't have one or it was very restrictive...I forgot. I'll give it a try again.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on April 02, 2016, 10:27:40 PM
I haven't played with a demo of it in ages cause for awhile they didn't have one or it was very restrictive...I forgot. I'll give it a try again.

They have what I think is an excellent demo board.

If you want to look around one I have a test board set up. I'll let you in..

Skhilled

Wow! Those prices are a bit steep, especially if you've got a busy site!

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on April 03, 2016, 03:13:52 PM
Wow! Those prices are a bit steep, especially if you've got a busy site!

Yes they are, you should be able to maybe do some of your own codding..

I only get what is free or what we need..

You can  buy a IPB board in some forums where they sell and transfer the License over..sometime get a Lic. half price..

Skhilled

But is it still on their servers and is why they charge per month?

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on April 04, 2016, 07:44:47 AM
But is it still on their servers and is why they charge per month?

Once you buy the Lic. you can download the forum and install any where your host is.. They also can host the forum for you..

If you want a demo just ask and give your email and they set it up and send you the link, I think there good for 48 hours..

Skhilled

So if you do not pay monthly do they deactivate it or just not give support for it?

Maxx

I can't count the number of times, I tried to give up the SMF... but there is nothing paid or free that compares to it.. I've been test forums and CMS packages fro way back in phpnuke and post nuke days and was making themes then also. I'm not fan of the word press or any of those bloated systems just have a blog either.

I don't feel the SMF will move any time close in the future unless they Find tons cash and someone to re write the complete system. but then it will not be SMF any longer!

I think the current version will be around for many years and in use by many!

the 2.1 does not look too promising, for mods and security..yet it still looks like SMF :(

regards,
Maxx

Skhilled

I have to agree with you. But it's sad when the things you think is best is not good enough...

aura

i know nothing about how it all works etc over on the site.... BUT i have noticed that when someone makes any comment about the new one they are working on, they get jumped on.

sometimes the best suggestions come from the strangest places, its good to listen, good advice for the team lol not that i would dare say it *S*

Siggy and Mega by me

Skhilled

That's the biggest problem...the support. Instead of just answering a question with a straight answer you the run-around. For instance, if you ask why something happens when viewing it in a certain browser they'll berate you for the browser you're using. That's terrible support! You just answer the question. If you fell you must give other advice you should "suggest" other browsers if the problem cannot be fix or if there is no fix at this time.

There are a few good staff members over there but they are overshadowed but the bad ones.

Ronald

Quote from: Maxx on April 10, 2016, 07:04:34 PM
I can't count the number of times, I tried to give up the SMF... but there is nothing paid or free that compares to it.. I've been test forums and CMS packages fro way back in phpnuke and post nuke days and was making themes then also. I'm not fan of the word press or any of those bloated systems just have a blog either.

I don't feel the SMF will move any time close in the future unless they Find tons cash and someone to re write the complete system. but then it will not be SMF any longer!

I think the current version will be around for many years and in use by many!

the 2.1 does not look too promising, for mods and security..yet it still looks like SMF :(

regards,
Maxx

I believe every 6 months there is a 25.00 renewal fee. If you don't pay, you get a notice in the acp about the license need renewed, plus no support.

When you purchase a IPS License you become a client this gives you the permission to download hooks and skins or buy them..

Running with IPB can and is expensive.. But I like the features..

I still go every day to SMF and read, and look to see if the 2.1 is out in production, still nothing.. Do they have anyone left working there..Most that I know who were Staff all packed it in  Kinred is a little better with his ig mouth..