Problem with install

Started by Ronald, May 19, 2015, 12:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 22, 2015, 11:17:49 AM
Yes, those and any other lingering arcade files that may be in /Sources, etc. Also, you need to check for any code that may be left behind in the SMF files...that is probably the biggest problem.

Removed arcade where ever I could see.

Installed arcade and a couple of games. tried to play nothing. Removed this arcade.

Installed e arcade again get a message my database is out of date..

I feel at this time it's time to give up, not going to get it installed..Something going on that I can not find..

Skhilled

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere... You mean a message like this?

QuoteNote: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.2, while your database is at version 2.0. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Then you'll want to do this:

http://www.docskillz.com/docs/index.php?page=page202

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 22, 2015, 11:49:02 AM
Ah! Now we're getting somewhere... You mean a message like this?

QuoteNote: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.2, while your database is at version 2.0. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Then you'll want to do this:

http://www.docskillz.com/docs/index.php?page=page202

The second notice is the error I'm getting..

I haven't a clue on how to begin with this.. Never done an upgrade..

Skhilled

I'm going to take a guess and think you've upgraded your forum by clicking the upgrade link in the admin right? That will work...partially. The problem with doing it that way it that it does not upgrade the database on some servers for some reason. This has been happening since SMF upgraded to 1.1.x from 1.0.x! I've complained about it back then but they are not smart enough to listen. And if you go to them and ask for help they'll just tell you to ignore the db upgrade error....idiots!

Why do they allow for a db upgrade then when it does not work they tell you to forget it???

The best way to upgrade is to switch to the default theme, uninstall your mods and upload all new smf files for the new version from the new upgrade package (not the main install...the upgrade package) then run upgrade.php. This will upgrade your files and your database correctly. However, it will kill your mods (and possibly some themes, if they are not coded correctly) and you'll need to install them again. Upgrading through the admin will allow you to keep your mods intact but when you need to uninstall or upgrade them you will have major problems.

For those who do not know how to manually add or remove mod code I always suggest that you do it the way I just mentioned. You'll have less problems. The only problems you may have is if the mods you have do not work with the new version...they won't install properly, of course.

Skhilled

Make sure you download this version:

As you can see, right above the arrow, it says for upgrading from a smf version before 2.0. That is correct but it will also work for current versions that have the db error. ;) You can also see that it will tell you that it will kill your mods and they will need to be reinstalled.

Extract the files then upload then and run http://yoursite.com/upgrade.php

Skhilled

If you have not upgraded already then do this first:

1.  Go to Admin. On the right you'll see Support Information. Under that click on "(more detailed)". You will see this:

If any of the numbers on the right are red then your SMF file(s) are not updated correctly. If you see red then you'll need to upload all of the SMF files as I've explained in my last posts. If they are not red then proceed below.

2.  Upload the following files from the upgrade package:

upgrade.php
upgrade_1-0.sql
upgrade_1-1.sql
upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql
upgrade_2-0_postgresql.sql
upgrade_2-0_sqlite.sql

Run upgrade.php. This should upgrade your db without causing any problems to your mods or themes.

See if that helps. If it does not then you probably coding issues somewhere...probably from outdated mods or mods that did not install correctly. The best thing you can do is what I have usually done on your site. Upload all new SMF files and reinstall your mods.

When installing mods start with e largest or most problematic ones first.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 23, 2015, 01:44:54 AM
If you have not upgraded already then do this first:

1.  Go to Admin. On the right you'll see Support Information. Under that click on "(more detailed)". You will see this:

If any of the numbers on the right are red then your SMF file(s) are not updated correctly. If you see red then you'll need to upload all of the SMF files as I've explained in my last posts. If they are not red then proceed below.

2.  Upload the following files from the upgrade package:

upgrade.php
upgrade_1-0.sql
upgrade_1-1.sql
upgrade_2-0_mysql.sql
upgrade_2-0_postgresql.sql
upgrade_2-0_sqlite.sql

Run upgrade.php. This should upgrade your db without causing any problems to your mods or themes.

See if that helps. If it does not then you probably coding issues somewhere...probably from outdated mods or mods that did not install correctly. The best thing you can do is what I have usually done on your site. Upload all new SMF files and reinstall your mods.

When installing mods start with e largest or most problematic ones first.

No upgrade yet, doing it Sunday..

I followed your instructions: See attachment...

Skhilled

OK, I do not have to work Sunday so I'll be around...

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 23, 2015, 09:05:24 AM
OK, I do not have to work Sunday so I'll be around...

From my attachment, do I need to upgrade..

Skhilled

Yes, just download the SMF upgrade package and extract the files. You only need to upload the 5 or 6 upgrade.* files and run upgrade.php.

Hopefully that will fix it. Then you can reinstall the arcade. If that does not work then you'll need to do the full upgrade which means you'll need to reinstall your mods again.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 23, 2015, 09:16:36 AM
Yes, just download the SMF upgrade package and extract the files. You only need to upload the 5 or 6 upgrade.* files and run upgrade.php.

Hopefully that will fix it. Then you can reinstall the arcade. If that does not work then you'll need to do the full upgrade which means you'll need to reinstall your mods again.

runic was going to do it Sunday..

I don't feel comfortable doing this, when I don't know what I'm doing..

Skhilled

As long as he's been around he should already know what to do. ;)

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 23, 2015, 09:31:20 AM
As long as he's been around he should already know what to do. ;)

runic is the one that helped me convert over from mybb..

If you'd like to do it, I'll give you the info..

Skhilled

If he runs into any problems, I'll stop over and help.

Ronald

Quote from: Skhilled on May 23, 2015, 09:39:33 AM
If he runs into any problems, I'll stop over and help.

OK thanks Steve..