Steve's VPS Adventures

Started by Skhilled, May 27, 2017, 09:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I've got a VPS server courtesy of Hot Hosting Inc:

https://hothostinginc.com

It came with Cent OS 6 mininal and the Webuzo control panel. This is unmanaged so I must learn to do everything myself. Sweet!!!

I'm not sure yet if I want to switch from that OS to version 7 or Ubuntu Server yet. I'm still weighing the pros and cons. Version 7 adds new commands and ways of doing things but version 6 retains the old commands I'm use to. Ubuntu does things a bit differently from Cent OS so there's a number of things to think about...and to learn. I do love learning new things so this is a great opportunity for me!  8)

So far, I've installed two SMF test forums and Let's Encrypt and they work as they should. The only problem I have is permissions. If I upload something via FTP or install any mods the permissions are all wrong and I have to reset them after each upload and them again after each installation. So, I've decided to take this opportunity to reinstall the OS and completely learn how to properly harden and setup the web server myself. This may be a lengthy process but should turn out well in the end.

For anyone else interested in this I've found a great tutorial for this and will be following it. i'll post any other tuts that work well for me.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/initial-server-setup-with-centos-7

Wish me luck!!!  O0

Ken.

Good luck... try hard and succeed!  :cool2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

HHI has sold the company to: https://fasthive.com

So, I've bit the bullet and have bought a VPS from them. Nothing has changed on the server except a few server details...IP address, etc. They've even sweetened the deal for me. I plan on moving all of my domains and sites there after I learn how to reinstall the OS, etc. in case something happens.The VPS is unmanaged so I'm on my own for support except for something wrong on their end.

Scrubmeister

Never heard of Fasthive.

Best of luck with this project. Sounds fun.

Skhilled

I've never heard of them either until I was told of the sale...

Thanks, there's a lot to learn. Although, it is setup and ready to run (I do have 2 test sites on it already with no problems) I'd like to learn how to run it from the ground up which involves installing and configuring everything.

Ronald

Good luck Steve, happy learning..

Skhilled

OK, learning is EXACTLY what I've been doing! ...And is something I've always loved doing! I try to learn something new at least once a week, if not, every day!

I've used WHM (Web Hosting Manager) years ago along with Les years ago but so much has drastically changed since then! For those who don't know, WHM is owned/created by cPanel, Inc. and is the software that is used by hosting companies and resellers. With it, you can control every aspect of your hosting (as your hosting does) and create as many cpanel accounts as you have space for. I own 5 domains so I can have 5 totally separate cpanel accounts for each of them or add them all together under one account or mix and match somewhere in between! I am also able to move my complete cpanel accounts from my current hosting to there easily...once I learn how to again. LOL

The hosting is linux-based, of course and they have went beyond what they should have as per unmanaged hosting goes! Basically, you are on your own and need to fix your own mistakes...win, lose or draw! But they immediately answered all of my questions and got me setup so I'm ready to rock and roll!

I was a bit apprehensive because all of the other hosting I've used that have been bought out almost immediately went south! So far,they have been great! Their customer service is excellent!!!

Scrubmeister

I used WHM years ago when I had multiple sites as well. Was pretty easy to work with and manage from what I remember.

Totally get what you mean about hosts being bought out by others. Has happened to me before as well.

Keep us posted!

Ronald

Glad to hear this Steve,  :congrats:  if your doing this I know darn well it'll turn out just fine if not excellent..I think if I was younger, I'd jump at the same chance as you have..

For me, I think I'll stay where I'm at, I turned over one forum to the girls. I still have an IPB Arcade Game forum. I figure I am getting kind of old doing this now..Will be 80 soon, so time to slow down and give it up one day.. I don't come online to much during the day anymore..

Ken.

Sounds like you've made a good start on your learning adventures!   :cool2:
The cPanel options seems to be an excellent way to control your domains, being able to have separate cPanels should make it less confusing to keep track of any changes and not get the domains mixed up.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Skhilled

Ok, I backed up 2 of my domains which were under one account and uploaded the file to the VPS. Then ran the "cpmove" tool and it restored the account. I've also pointed the domains to the VPs. Now, I'll just have to wait a little for the change and see how it goes. :)

EDIT: This is SO cool! I can log into the skilled.com's cPanel and switch to the other account within it! I only need one login now to access them both! There's a little dropdown at the top of the page so I can select the account I want to work with and it will load that account's cPanel and all of it's information as it normally would.  :dancebun:

Ken.

Sounds like it's working great!  :congrats:

Skhilled

So far it is! ;D

EDIT: I forgot to show two of the sites on it. They load pretty fast!

https://behindtherazorwire.com

https://skhilled.com