Ticket given for not speaking English

Started by Skhilled, October 23, 2009, 05:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

It seems rather silly for those officers to do that because when you stop and think about it there must be at least 10's of thousands of people here in the US who don't speak english. In Texas you would expect to have a fair percentage of non-english speaking drivers because it is a border state.

Due to the fact that it was a wide spread practice in that police department you have to think that the department as well as the court system condoned the practice.
Hopefully this media attention will force them to change, but sadly it likely would not have changed if it had not made the national news.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

Very true! I've never trusted the police since I was young. I've seen them do a lot of illegal things and it just gets swept under the rug, especially when it comes to minorities.

I can write a book on it.

Ken.

From the late 50's to the mid 60's I lived in two of the LA suburbs, Willowbrook and Compton and saw and lived that relationship first hand. If you've not heard of Willowbrook, it's between Compton and Watts.
It was and still is a dangerous place to be black, or be with a black person because the police would often stop you just because you were that flavor... whether you had actually been doing something or not.
Writing a book is something that I could do as well.  :cool2:
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Skhilled

There are still suburbs like that today, sadly.